UNG Softball Entering 2024 Season as No. 1 Ranked Team in the Nation

Photo by UNG Athletics Photography / Facebook

After reaching the mountain top and being crowned the 2023 NCAA Division II National Champions last season, the University of North Georgia’s softball program is ready to run it back in 2024.

The Nighthawks are set to kick off their title defense at the Gulf Shores Invitational facing West Florida on Feb. 2. The team will compete in five other games at the Invitational, rounding off the weekend by going head-to-head with Lubbock Christian on Feb. 4.

The Nighthawks are coming into the season with high expectations, as anticipated after a program-record 64-win season in 2023.

The defending national champions were unanimously voted as preseason favorites in the Peach Belt Conference. North Georgia was also ranked as the number one team in the nation in the NFCA NCAA Division II Top 25 Coaches Poll.

“It shows the respect our program has garnered over the years, but it is just that.  The 2024 team, like every team that has ever worn the North Georgia uniform, will start the season playing game one on the schedule and continue from there creating their own journey and memories.”Mike Davenport, UNG Softball Head Coach

Nighthawks scrimmaged UGA during the offseason (UNG Athletics Photography)

The 2024 roster is looking as dangerous as ever. A total of 20 players are returning from last year’s championship roster. This includes the Nighthawk’s complete pitching staff, which posted the lowest combined ERA in the PBC last season (1.95).

A combination of experience and chemistry makes North Georgia one of the most feared teams in the country.

“We’re all super close, we won a National Championship together. We all trust each other and know what each one of us can do, but we don’t want to get complacent. It’s awesome we won but we know it’s going to be a fight to get back up there.” – Sydney Blair, UNG Nighthawks Outfielder

The Nighthawks possess every element necessary to build on last year’s success. The program will be competing for its 10th consecutive conference championship and 3rd national championship in 2024.

The first home game of the season will be Feb. 9 which marks the start of a 13-game homestand for the Nighthawks. PBC play will begin with a three-game series against USC Beaufort on Feb. 24-25.

All UNG students, faculty and staff can attend games for free using the Campus Groups app on their phone. General admission is $10 for all other spectators.