GRAFT By Rachel K. Garceau

The Roy C. Moore Art gallery, at the University of North Georgia’s Gainesville campus, held an exhibit, GRAFT, from Sept. 19 to Oct. 15.

GRAFT was created by Rachel K. Garceau. The exhibit contained a porcelain-covered nest, pictures of trees and a “Building and Becoming” video of Garceau building the nest while performing yoga.

"Essentially, she took a lot of pieces of material from nature," said Sam Soto, UNG student. "She then molded the pieces of nature into porcelain."
“Essentially, she took a lot of pieces of material from nature,” said Sam Soto, supervisor of the GRAFT exhibit. “She then molded the pieces of nature into porcelain.”

"My best interpretation of the art is, it's an artificial staple in a organic environment," Soto said. "It is specifically done to make you pay attention to it in an unusual way."
“My best interpretation of the art is, it’s an artificial staple in a organic environment,” Soto said. “It is specifically done to make you pay attention to it in an unusual way.”

"There is a lot of organic sized nature that is Devine and spiritual, and there are parts of it that are artificial, yet significant," Soto said.
“There is a lot of organic sized nature that is divine and spiritual, and there are parts of it that are artificial, yet significant,” Soto said.

"Man can sometimes be the artificial staple in nature because we live in it, but are not of it," Soto said. "We may be the artificial aspect of nature, but we are very attuned to it, and aware of it."
“Man can sometimes be the artificial staple in nature because we live in it, but are not of it,” Soto said. “We may be the artificial aspect of nature, but we are very attuned to it, and aware of it.”

"It is a nest for the soul, it is the symbolic union of the idea that as man and nature can be one," Soto said.
“It is a nest for the soul, it is the symbolic union of the idea that as man and nature can be one,” Soto said.

"Building and Becoming" by Rachel K. Garceau "She actually builds the nest in the video and does some yoga to mirror the nest, as she becomes one with nature," Soto said.
“She actually builds the nest in the video and does some yoga to mirror the nest, as she becomes one with nature,” Soto said.

"Man is always influencing nature, but we are not really with it," Soto said.
“Man is always influencing nature, but we are not really with it,” Soto said.

The gallery was shown in the Ray C. Moore Art Gallery, located on the Gainesville campus in the continuing Education/Performing Arts building.

• Jordon Tullis is a junior at the University of North Georgia who is majoring in mass communications with a focus on broadcast journalism. She is from Winder, Georgia. Jordon was the active sports reporter for the Milledgeville newspaper, the photographer for the Union Recorder in Milledgeville, and the sports anchor for the Georgia College and State University student news station. She plans on entering into University of Georgia’s Grady school of journalism and furthering her education in mass communications. After college, Jordon plans on being a sideline reporter for a major sports news station, and photojournalist.

• Show Comments

comment *

• name *

• email *

• website *