GTA gets ready for the season

The Gainesville Theatre Alliance is in full swing, preparing for its 2016-2017 season with new and exciting performances, including a new series for mature audiences only.

GTA is a theater program at the University of North Georgia’s Gainesville campus. It is also in partnership with Brenau University and has served as a vehicle to train theater majors for more than 37 years.

The program is providing UNG and Brenau’s theater students with more than 260 majors this year.

“Over half of the alumni surveyed are working in the field in some way, either as actors, directors, designers, stage managers, drama teachers, etc,” said Beth Kendall, GTA’s marketing manager.

With the exception of the musical “Godspell,” GTA is carrying out a whole season of shows never performed on its stages before.

In order to prep for the upcoming season, GTA built two shows over the summer, with the help of student employees.  The department also renewed season passes for over 500 community patrons.

This season, GTA patrons will have the opportunity to attend musical theater for young audiences such as “Beauty and the Beast” and “Peter and the Starcatcher.” Other offerings include “The Raven and The Nightingale,”an adaption of a Greek tragedy, Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing”; and “Flyin’ West,” an African-American historical drama.

“GTA hopes to artfully tell these stories with 58 performances in 10 productions, and entertain more than 28,000 patrons,” Kendall said.

The bulk of GTA’s audience is community patrons from the 12 surrounding northeast Georgia counties. On select nights, each production has free nights available for UNG and Brenau students, faculty and staff.

Regular show tickets vary in price, ranging from $5 for the non-musical plays to $26 for the musicals.  GTA also offers the three shows in its Discovery Series for free.

The Discovery Series is a slate of smaller and edgier contemporary shows that gives the program an outlet to experiment with its content without losing its regular patrons.

“Beauty and the Beast” and “Godspell” are $22-$24 for students and $26 for adults.  “Much Ado About Nothing” and “Peter and the Star Catcher” are $12-$14 for students and $18-$20 for adults.

GTA’s next performance will be “Beauty and the Beast”, showing from Nov. 8 through Nov. 19 at Brenau’s Hosch Theatre.

GTA invites community patrons, students and family alike to “be their guest” as they perform the classic Disney tale of a beautiful young woman living in France and a young prince trapped in a monster’s body.  The two learn to love each other for who they are, in spite of the prince’s beastly appearance.

Beauty and the Beast is open to all patrons and carries a G rating.

For more information about upcoming shows, visit the GTA website.

• Jordon Tullis is a junior at the University of North Georgia who is majoring in mass communications with a focus on broadcast journalism. She is from Winder, Georgia. Jordon was the active sports reporter for the Milledgeville newspaper, the photographer for the Union Recorder in Milledgeville, and the sports anchor for the Georgia College and State University student news station. She plans on entering into University of Georgia’s Grady school of journalism and furthering her education in mass communications. After college, Jordon plans on being a sideline reporter for a major sports news station, and photojournalist.

• Show Comments

comment *

• name *

• email *

• website *