“Beauty and the Beast” breaks the box office

Students were turned away when trying to purchase Gainesville Theatre Alliance’s “Beauty and the Beast” tickets. The musical sold out within a week.

The theatre department began tickets sales for “Beauty and the Beast” with their season subscribers. The department offers these patrons tickets in April and May.

On July 1, the tickets for the general public went on sale, where people could purchase individual type tickets.

The next wave of tickets went on sale Oct. 24, which were the campus discounted tickets. These are free or $5 tickets offered to UNG students, faculty and staff.

“We also sell preview tickets, which are general admission tickets for a show opening before the actual run of the play begins,” said Joslyn Hilliard, the theatre department’s business officer. “The preview show is kind of a rehearsal, but with full set and costume.”

Preview tickets went on sale on Oct. 24, and the 324 preview tickets that were available to the public sold out within five hours.

“The box office opened at 10 a.m. and all preview tickets were sold out by 3 p.m. They were gone so quick,” said Leslie Beamen, the box office assistant of UNG Gainesville.

However, their are still some ways in which people can acquire tickets.

“Once the tickets sell and people come back to exchange their tickets, seats will open up and reflect on the GTA website,” Hilliard said. “These tickets don’t last very long.”

According to Beamen and Hilliard, “Beauty and the Beast” sold 4,573 tickets during the entire run of the show, but this isn’t the first show performed by GTA that sold out so quickly.

“The musical that shows in November typically sells out every year,” Hilliard said. “We did ‘Mary Poppins’ last year and that sold out very quickly as well.”

The shows that GTA performs at the UNG’s Ed Cabell Theatre also sell out because it is a smaller venue. The theater only has 200 seats, so of the 325 patrons that are used to attending the big musicals, only 200 can attend per night.

The theatre department’s faculty and staff urges everyone to purchase their discounted tickets as soon as they go on sale.

“Students, faculty and staff need to jump on the tickets that very day or the day after,” Beamen said. “The worst thing we have to say is, ‘sorry you waited all this time and we are sold out.’”

UNG students, faculty and staff can always purchase the regular priced tickets, sometimes it’s better to be safe than sorry.

“We do have people who would rather pay full price for tickets rather than risk not getting any tickets when the discount tickets finally go on sale,” Hilliard said.

Regular tickets for students range from $14-16.

“By the time discounted tickets become available, we may not have any more tickets,” Beamen said.

Don’t miss out on the  shows GTA will be performing this season. “Peter and the Star Catcher,” a musical opening in April 2017, is almost sold out as well. Get your tickets as soon as they are available, and stay updated on ticket availability at http://blog.ung.edu/gta.

About Jordon Tullis (21 Articles)
Jordon Tullis is a junior at the University of North Georgia who is majoring in mass communications with a focus on broadcast journalism. She is from Winder, Georgia. Jordon was the active sports reporter for the Milledgeville newspaper, the photographer for the Union Recorder in Milledgeville, and the sports anchor for the Georgia College and State University student news station. She plans on entering into University of Georgia’s Grady school of journalism and furthering her education in mass communications. After college, Jordon plans on being a sideline reporter for a major sports news station, and photojournalist.