GTA performs Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing”

Starting on Valentine’s Day, the Gainesville Theatre Alliance invites students, families and lovers to enter into the Shakespearean world of “Much Ado About Nothing.”

The play by William Shakespeare takes the audience to the Italian countryside for a comedy that involves love, mistaken identity, honor and lots of hilarity.

“Much Ado About Nothing” is directed by Elisa Carlson, a UNG professor and resident director.

“‘Much Ado About Nothing’ is a great comedy, and it has a wide range of roles for our students and professionals,” Carlson said.

According to Beth Kendall, GTA’s marketing manager, the title of the play is an Elizabethan pun: “Nothing” was pronounced like “Noting” or “noticing.” The pun is meaningful because a lot of the humor is based on misunderstanding conversations and misinterpreting situations.

Along with heartbreak, lovers’ spats and moments of laughter, the show has a considerable amount of girl power.

At the time the play was written, men ruled the world. But in this world, the men aren’t powerful enough to rein in the witty and strong heroines of the show.

Not only are the characters strong; the women involved behind the scenes are, too.

“All designers working on the show are some of the most wonderful women of GTA’s faculty and students,” Carlson said.

GTA brought in guest artist and Actors Equity member Brian Kurlander to play a part in the show and guide the rest of the cast through Shakespeare’s complicated language.

Kurlander has also starred in movies with actors like Reese Witherspoon and t.v shows like House of cards and the new Fox series, Star.

The show runs through Feb. 25. Tickets are $12-14 for students, $18-20 for adults and $16-18 for seniors.

About Jordon Tullis (21 Articles)
Jordon Tullis is a junior at the University of North Georgia who is majoring in mass communications with a focus on broadcast journalism. She is from Winder, Georgia. Jordon was the active sports reporter for the Milledgeville newspaper, the photographer for the Union Recorder in Milledgeville, and the sports anchor for the Georgia College and State University student news station. She plans on entering into University of Georgia’s Grady school of journalism and furthering her education in mass communications. After college, Jordon plans on being a sideline reporter for a major sports news station, and photojournalist.