Microscopic science becomes grand art in “Tiny Enormous” exhibit

It might seem like science and art have little in common, but both subjects encourage people to question the world and how it works, making these mediums the perfect pair to educate people about microbes.

Microbes are commonly mistaken for disease-causing germs. This is a misconception that the UNG science and art department want to dispel.

The Roy C. Moore Art Gallery, located on the Gainesville campus in the Professional Continuing Education/ Performing Arts building, is hosting an interactive exhibition titled “Tiny Enormous: Art Exploring Microbes” until Sep. 28. Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday.

This art exhibit is a collaboration between biologists studying microbes and visual artists who interpreted these organisms into art. The two UNG departments collaborated in an attempt to share how important microbes are to the body.

“[The creators of the exhibit] liked the idea of the synthesis of art with science, and for a lot of students it was simplistic,” said Samuel Soto, one of the art gallery’s student curators. “Some of the students just took photographs using microscopes to reveal a lot of what you see in the exhibit.”

“The most intriguing thing about the exhibit is that we don’t know all the materials that went into its construction,” Soto said.

“I would say that the coolest qualities of the art installation itself are the fact that it’s not just imagery of organic material,” Soto said. “[The biology students] actually took samples of microbes [from some of the patrons] on the first day [the exhibit] opened the gallery, so one of the installations is the actual growth of microbes.”

“This exhibit has brought in a lot of attention,” Soto said. “It has given students who would’ve stayed exclusively in the science building a reason to visit the gallery.”

“Students can come into the gallery to enjoy the artistic qualities of the installment or to help them with a science project,” Soto said.

“This exhibit has been in the works for a while,” Soto said. “The science department has the resources and the means available to make this installation possible, and the art department had the talent to make is successful.”

“Some of the installations in the exhibit are very in-depth, with 2-D paintings and drawings,” Soto said.

About Jordon Tullis (21 Articles)
Jordon Tullis is a junior at the University of North Georgia who is majoring in mass communications with a focus on broadcast journalism. She is from Winder, Georgia. Jordon was the active sports reporter for the Milledgeville newspaper, the photographer for the Union Recorder in Milledgeville, and the sports anchor for the Georgia College and State University student news station. She plans on entering into University of Georgia’s Grady school of journalism and furthering her education in mass communications. After college, Jordon plans on being a sideline reporter for a major sports news station, and photojournalist.