Quality Enhancement Plan helps students choose classes during advising weeks

Advising weeks are upon us. Students can make appointments to meet with the advisor listed on their Tranguid between Oct.2-27.

Making an advising appointment may seem tedious, but the University of North Georgia’s advising department has developed a new program to make the most of students’ time.

The QEP, Quality Enhancement Plan, helps students get a clear understanding of what core classes they need to take before taking major-specific classes.

As part of the new QEP, students who make an appointment with their advisor will fill out a course planning guide that lays out all the classes needed to graduate on time. A mandatory advising hold is placed on the accounts of students who have less than 45 credit hours.

“The course planning guide isn’t set in stone,” said Casey Fronek, a communications, journalism and public relations advisor. “You don’t have to take the exact classes, but sometimes it’s nice to have something to look at and check things off to help you know exactly where you are.”

“Unfortunately, a lot of time has been wasted in the past because a student will take the same class without realizing it,” Fronek said. “The plan of study helps, especially if students come in with a lot of transfer credits and need to figure out what classes UNG will accept.”

By plugging in the classes that they have taken and the classes they want to take into a plan of study, students get to feel like they are in control of their college career.

“The idea is to have the students really feel ownership over their degree,” Fronek said.“In starting the QEP, advisors are trying to change the advising culture. Right now, students only go to their advisors when something is wrong. We want the students to be productive.”

Although the advising department suggests advising appointments for all students, the QEP is currently unavailable for students majoring in business, education, art, theater and music.

After taking 45 credit hours, students are moved over to a faculty advisor who then tailors the student’s degree to their educational goals and career aspirations.

“Information is always changing,” Fronek said. “The economy and jobs are always changing, so students should know what skills they need in order to be successful. It is helpful to have resources available online, so students don’t have to wait to get an email for us.”

More information on UNG advising weeks and the new QEP can be found here.

About Jordon Tullis (21 Articles)
Jordon Tullis is a junior at the University of North Georgia who is majoring in mass communications with a focus on broadcast journalism. She is from Winder, Georgia. Jordon was the active sports reporter for the Milledgeville newspaper, the photographer for the Union Recorder in Milledgeville, and the sports anchor for the Georgia College and State University student news station. She plans on entering into University of Georgia’s Grady school of journalism and furthering her education in mass communications. After college, Jordon plans on being a sideline reporter for a major sports news station, and photojournalist.