Homework, tests and CrossFit: somehow, this UNG student does it all

CrossFit, a brutal strength-training and conditioning program. may not be the most popular way college students work out. But for UNG Gainesville student Trice Sweet, it’s the only way to work out.

Sweet, 25, has been doing CrossFit for almost four years and has been coaching groups in CrossFit for a year and a half.

Trice Sweet competes in the Deprivation Doomsday CrossFit competition in Phenix City, Alabama, on Nov. 4. (Photo by Chris Fernandez)

“I graduated college from Kennesaw, previous to coming here and I needed a job,” Sweet said. “My brother-in-law owned a CrossFit gym.”

Sweet started out as an office aide. She soon began doing CrossFit; a couple of years later, she decided to get out of the office and out into the gym as a coach.

“A lot of people see CrossFit on television and get really intimidated by it, but it’s ultimately just weightlifting, gymnastics and mono-structural pieces, like cardio, all smashed together,” Sweet said.

CrossFit is done primarily in hour-long group classes. Sweet leads the group in a short warm-up, usually followed by a strength portion, a skill piece and a high-intensity workout.

“Being a CrossFit coach is like being a personal trainer, just in a group setting,” Sweet said.

Sweet is studying to be an occupational therapist. Being a CrossFit coach helps her move toward that dream.

“CrossFit is completely compatible with occupational therapy because a lot of the therapy is learning fine motor movements and helping people with everyday movements,” Sweet said. “What I love about CrossFit and doing it is that it can also help people in completing everyday tasks better.”

Sweet also loves how, even in a group setting, she still gets to work one-on-one with her trainees, just like with her patients.

“I do personal training as well so I work with people one-on-one all the time, and I wouldn’t want it any other way,” Sweet said. “I wanted my career to be working with people one-on-one as well.”

Sweet can get busy and at times it is hard to balance her jobs and her studies. Not only does she work at the gym as a CrossFit coach and take two class at UNG, she also works night shifts as an apprentice occupational therapist at a hospital in Braselton.

“I usually work out at the gym at UNG between classes and then go to my gym after my second class,” Sweet said. “There are days I just have to fit working out in. I even study while I lift sometimes.”

Sweet, with her busy schedule, still finds the time to travel the Southeast to compete in CrossFit competitions. She just competed in the Deprivation Doomsday CrossFit competition in Phenix City, Alabama, on Nov. 4, placing third.

CrossFit helped Sweet realize she wanted to pursue a career in occupational therapy.

“There is a huge connection in being able to live your life with correct movement in both life and occupational therapy,” Sweet said.

About Jordon Tullis (21 Articles)
Jordon Tullis is a junior at the University of North Georgia who is majoring in mass communications with a focus on broadcast journalism. She is from Winder, Georgia. Jordon was the active sports reporter for the Milledgeville newspaper, the photographer for the Union Recorder in Milledgeville, and the sports anchor for the Georgia College and State University student news station. She plans on entering into University of Georgia’s Grady school of journalism and furthering her education in mass communications. After college, Jordon plans on being a sideline reporter for a major sports news station, and photojournalist.