Lil Nas X is Going to Hell, Literally

Can we really define what it means to be right or wrong? It all comes down to each individuals views and beliefs to define each word. In recent news, we have all been trying to label what Lil Nas X has done as right or wrong and good or bad.

On March 29, the 666 pairs of “Satan Shoes” were released to the public and sold for $1,018. Lil Nas X teamed up with a New York-based art collective MSCHF to design the shoe, which has one drop of human blood in each pair. The release of these shoes followed the music video to his most recent hit song “Montero”.

The shoes were released to the public and made purchasable through the MSCHF app. They sold out in under a minute.

To understand the shoes, you have to also understand the music video. In the video for the song “Montero”, Lil Nas X is seen committing sin with a snake in a garden, which a lot of people are saying is symbolism for the garden of Eden. Then he is chained up and thrown before a group of individuals and a large crowd who seem to be judging him. It switches scenes and it looks like an angel is about to grab him when a pole appears, and he is seen sliding down it into what looks to symbolize Hell. He is then seen dancing inappropriately on the Devil. At the end he kills the Devil and takes his horns, becoming him.

“You love telling gay people we going to hell, then get mad when I go.” – Lil Nas X

Since the release of the shoes and music video, there has been a lot of backlash. It was the number one thing trending on social media apps such as TikTok. The reviews have been positive and very, very negative.

With something that has to do with religion, you get a very distinct line of comments and views. On one hand we saw Christians and very religious people speaking out against everything he has done, saying it was disgusting to watch. Then the other side of it all, we have people saying to leave him alone and that he can do whatever makes him happy.

Famous Disney Channel star China Anne McClain said, “I don’t believe in God because religion tells me to, I know God, we have a relationship. So, when God is represented badly by a Christian or by someone that has been hurt by a Christian, it makes me sad because it is not who he is.” She posted a video on TikTok addressing all the Lil Nas X controversy and said that everyone’s relationship with God is different and we shouldn’t judge them for that.

Following the release of the shoes, Lil Nas X and MSCHF are facing some serious beef with Nike. On the side of the shoe, we can see a Nike “Swoosh”, but Nike had no part in this. Nike confirmed last week that they have filed a trademark claim against MSCHF because their logo was stolen in the creation of the shoe.

The shoes feature a pentagram charm that hangs at the top of the shoelaces. They are red and black in color. Each pair also has a 666 near the back of the shoe and Luke 10:18 at the front. This Bible verse reads “I watched Satan fall from heaven like lightning.” The human blood, which came from “about six” MSCHF employees, was mixed into the sole.

Despite the negative backlash and having to duke it out with Nike, Lil Nas X is staying positive and making jokes about all of it. If you would like to watch the “Montero” video, it is available on Lil Nas X’s YouTube channel.