The Shooting Of Ma’Khia Bryant

I think we all can admit, when we were teenagers, we hated being told what to do. Especially being told to do chores, laundry or clean. Sixteen-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant, who is a black woman, felt the exact same way.

On Tuesday, April 20, Angela Moore, foster mother of Bryant, was having her former foster children over to celebrate her birthday. During their stay, they were asked by the eldest child to clean up the house because ‘Mom doesn’t like the house dirty.’ This statement was the beginning of the downfall.

“We got grown girls over here trying to fight us, trying to stab us.” – Unidentified Woman

This was the first thing the 911 dispatcher was told when an unidentified woman placed a call for help. This is when we got a first look at everything taking place through surveillance video.

In the video it appears four people are arguing in front of the home. As the police officer, Nicholas Reardon, is getting to the home, Bryant and two others appear in the front yard. Bryant proceeds to lunge at one of the women with a knife which throws her to the ground. The man involved begins kicking the woman on the ground when she is trying to get up.

Bryant turns to another woman with the knife to stab her when officer Reardon discharges four shots, striking Bryant. Bryant dies on the scene.

With this being another police involved shooting of a black person, a lot of people are very furious.

Famous NBA star, LeBron James, tweeted “YOU’RE NEXT #ACCOUNTABILITY” with a photo of the officer who shot Bryant. Alongside James, Justin Bieber posted a photo on his Instagram account of Bryant and captioned it “Seems so unreal but this is the world we are living in. It saddens me that this has become such a normal thing. This is so far from normal and not protocol.” James and Bieber both are facing backlash from their followers about these posts, some agreeing but most disagreeing with what they had to say. James eventually deleted that tweet.

A lot of individuals agree with what the officer did in this situation. Saying things like “He was following the exact protocol any and every cop is taught” and things like “She was literally trying to stab another woman, what was the cop supposed to do? Let her do it and murder someone?”

Bryant’s family believes the foster family system has failed her and is looking to sue. They have begun the process and plan to take legal action. “Someone has to be held accountable.” – Deja Torrence, cousin of Bryant.

A petition has been started demanding ‘Justice For Ma’Khia’ and more than 41,000 people have signed it. The shooting is currently under investigation. Officer Reardon has been placed on administrative leave.