Atlanta Drift: Illegal Street Racing in Your Backyard

There are countless crimes that are a danger to society. Many of which, for very good reason, are constantly brought to light. Some, however, are less talked about, leaving police the complete responsibility of telling people “hey, you probably shouldn’t do that.”

“Racing of any kind is inherently dangerous, even in a controlled state. How many people have died racing NASCAR?” questioned a Senior Metro Atlanta Officer. “Imagine how dangerous it is on a highway in the middle of rush hour.”

Recently, illegal street racing has become more prominent in local counties such as Dekalb, Gwinnett, Clayton, etc. A recent arrest in Clayton County saw 88 street racers arrested and over 50 cars seized in, and of all places, a Sam’s Club parking lot.

“We’ve seen an increase for almost a year now in organized street racing, meaning promoters and organizers are actually putting together these events. It shuts down interstates, causing numerous other traffic problems, which can cause crashes miles away from the actual race site,” the officer said.

In response to this increase, Georgia State Legislature passed an anti-street racing bill. This effort brought heavier punishments to illegal street racers, especially those that attempt to flee the police.

Many of the arrested racers are cooperative with the police. Others, not-so-surprisingly, try to race the police cars.

“Most people that we hit really hard with street racing charges are the ones being reckless,” he said. “There’s a case going on in Dekalb County right now, and the street racer is paralyzed because he lost control of his Mustang and crashed trying to race the police. It isn’t just the racing that gets them excited, it’s the fleeing.”

“Taking action and making maneuvers to avoid the police risks yourself, police, and fellow citizens.” – Senior Metro Atlanta Officer

Of course, people that have nice cars want to drive fast, but there isn’t always a place to do so (legally, at least). “I wish there was a place they could go, that’s private, and they can go and blow off steam,” the officer explained. Luckily, this wish could be granted sooner rather than later.

Some local citizens are organizing an event in May at Atlanta Motor Speedway where people can pay a small fee to drive around the track as well as do doughnuts and burnouts in designated areas. More information on this event will be coming next week.

Hopefully, thanks to them and our local officers, our roads will become a much safer (and maybe a slightly less fun) place to drive.