SGA Initiatives: New Additions to the UNG Dahlonega Campus

Changes are being made to the Dahlonega campus. The University of North Georgia Student Government Association is working toward some initiatives that will change well-known spots.

One of the biggest changes that SGA is working on is the third floor of the HOAG building. The initiative proposes converting the “Computer Café” into a PC gaming room. SGA Vice President Caroline Beach says this renovation will help draw more students to the HOAG building on the weekends and create a fun stress-free environment for students.

Students frequent the current computer café to use computers and printers. This changes the area from what was once a quiet study-friendly environment to a place for students to gather.

As students will be losing one of the places to do schoolwork and access printers or computers, Beach says, “There are other places on campus.”

Another project the SGA is working on is The Pavilion Project. A pavilion would be built parallel to the bus parking lot across from Memorial Hall. The project was initially started by the former Dahlonega campus SGA Vice President Gina Diodati yet was put on hold with the construction of the new roundabout and fountain at the campus entrance. Caroline says the school wanted to know more about the sight lines and the overall appearance of the campus before starting construction on the pavilion.

The SGA wants the pavilion to potentially be a new place for students to engage with others and do schoolwork outdoors.  It is imagined to have space for up to 300 people, Wi-Fi access, restrooms, and seating areas. This is a rough idea of what amenities the pavilion could offer.

Both of the projects would require substantial funding.

“The funding for these projects would come out of reserves from student activity fees.” This is money that is not used from SGA mini-grant funds and goes into reserves at the end of each academic year Caroline Beach SGA Vice President

Beach says students are welcome to attend the SGA meetings held every Monday at 5:30 p.m. in HOAG ABC. Here, they can actively participate in the student government process and voice concerns or support they may have for upcoming projects. Students are also welcome to contact Beach through email at [email protected] or come by the SGA office on the fourth floor of HOAG Mondays from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. when she holds her weekly office hours.