Back on the Court: UNG’s Women’s Volleyball Club

UNG Women’s Volleyball Club dressed in red for Valentines Day Photo by: Autumn Dixon

COVID-19 has put a lot of events on hold this past year, but due to everyone embracing new safety rules, the University of North Georgia is allowing more activities to return to campus this spring. Dr. James Conneely, the vice president of student affairs, announced that the university is planning to increase on campus events, and the capacity in rec centers during  UNG’s Virtual Town Hall. This has led to clubs, like the Women’s Volleyball Club, being allowed to once again resume activities as of Feb. 1. 

In order to join the Women’s Volleyball Club one has to be a student attending UNG. In years prior to COVID-19 there has been a booth set up at Nighthawk fest, where students can sign up for the club in person, but now the procedure has slightly changed. Students can officially sign up for the team through IMLeagues. Once a student has requested to join, the president approves admittance, and then the student fills out a liability waiver with basic information and an emergency contact. This procedure is the new normal not only for all clubs and intramural teams. Melissa Coolidge, a junior nursing student and president of the Women’s Volleyball Club, says “Signing up is pretty simple and anyone can join. We are super open and want as many people as we can!” Currently the Women’s Volleyball Club has 20 active members, and more that come to practices intermittently. Coolidge says, “We understand the demands of school and work might make it to where people can’t come to practice, but you’re still a part of the team.” 

As president, Coolidge played a major role in the reinstatement of practices. The president of the club is responsible for overseeing other officers, heading risk management, media relations, and acting as the leader of the team. Coolidge explained the anticipation she and other officers felt during the fall. She said, “We were constantly waiting for updates on when we were going to resume practice and then around December we got an email saying that this [reinstating practices] might be happening.” Any sports club that wished to resume practices again needed to fill out a form, have at least two members be CPR certified, submit a practice proposal detailing the contact vs non-contact drills that might take place, and write a detailed summary of why the club should be allowed to come back. Coolidge said once the officers of the team were notified they met immediately and started planning.

Some of the aspects of practice that have changed due to COVID-19 are socially distanced water breaks, wearing masks during practice, and a limit of 15 members per practice. Coolidge said the hardest part of these new procedures is coordinating players for practice. In order to ensure that everyone is getting equal playing time, the officers have made a spreadsheet that players can sign up for the practices they want or get on a waiting list for a slot. Coolidge said that no one takes this opportunity to practice for granted, saying, “No one wants to lose our privilege to play, so we are doing everything that we can.”

COVID-19 hasn’t changed the overall atmosphere of the club, and has allowed the club to invent new ways to enrich their comradery. Last semester the officers started a buddy program, where returning members act as mentors to new members. Coolidge says, “I thought that this would be a good way to keep the members in touch with one another and keep everyone talking.” Even though practices are starting back up the club is going to continue this tradition so new members can gain more friends and confidence in the team. The club has also started having special event practices since they are no longer participating in tournaments. This week the club held a Galentine’s Day themed practice where players dressed in pink and red, and exchanged small treats. Coolidge says, “When I  was passed down the president spot I was so excited because I could help create an outlet for other girls that might be shy or don’t know many people and want to join. I love being able to be a group and play our favorite sport while making friends.” 

If you or anyone you know is interested in joining the Women’s Volleyball Club, find more info through the links below:

Dahlonega Sports Clubs

IMLeagues Registration

You can also learn more about the Women’s Volleyball Team through their official Instagram

UNG Women’s Volleyball Club Shirts for the 2019/2020
Photo by Emma Keisler