Discrimination against Asian Americans vastly increases during the pandemic

Photo capturing the Stop Asian Hate movement designed to spread awareness of the racism and discrimination that Asian Americans face.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, there has been an increase in harrassment, discrimination, and violence directed towards Asian Americans due to the origin of the virus being traced to Wuhan, China. Since the beginning of the pandemic, many Asian Americans have been the targets of slurs, workplace discrimination, and even physical assault. 

Madison Cotrell, junior physics major at Georgia Tech University, said “I was at the store one time and a white person told me and my sister to go back to where we came from. My sister started crying and I was in complete shock at what just happened. I suppose that maybe I’m just lucky, but prior to that, I haven’t faced any serious racism based on me being Asian.” 

Maya Bui, freshman psychology major at Georgia Tech University, described the feelings of fear that she has of being targeted because of her race. “Especially after the shooting that happened in Atlanta, I’m terrified of just how many people have prejudiced feelings towards Asian people. It’s gotten to the point where I’m scared to even go to the store or something like that, just because I may see someone who hates me only because I’m Asian. I’m also worried about the safety of my family and what could possibly happen to them, and I know they feel the same way about me.” said Bui.

People have been using social media as a platform to spread awareness about the discrimination faced by Asian Americans. Hashtags such as #stopasianhate, #asianlivesmatter, and #asiansarehuman have recently been trending in order to shed light on a previously hidden issue. 

In hashtags such as these, users have been acknowledging the prejudice and bigotry Asian Americans face, honoring and remembering victims of hate crimes, and exposing both the legal and cultural double standard in the treatment of white criminals compared to minorities.