Take Me Out to the Ball Game… Safely

Truist Park at 33% capacity during last Tuesday’s game against the Miami Marlins. Photo by Anna Kate Clark

Seeing a light at the end of the COVID-19 tunnel, Atlanta Braves baseball is easing up on its in-person game viewing restrictions.

On March 12, the Braves made a statement saying, “Modified seating will be done in socially distanced pods around the ballpark, primarily two and four fans each. Additional health and safety measures will be in place including wearing masks when not actively eating or drinking, contactless experience with mobile ticketing and ordering along with enhanced sanitation, all part of the overall plan in accordance will all state recommended guidelines.” 

The Braves have been allowing fans to attend games at Truist Park in Atlanta since the beginning of the 2021 season. The stadium started out at 33% capacity which will be raised to 50% on April 23 when the Braves have the next home series against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Matt Klug, senior business management major at the University of North Georgia Gainesville campus, says, “As far as the capacity, I have seen that they hope to reach 100% capacity by June so I personally would think we may see another increase soon, probably sometime in May!”

Inside the stadium, there are social distancing markers for fans who are standing in line for tickets and food. The food stands are minimal. The stadium is serving food but only from smaller stands with limited menus. 

Outside the stadium, fans can watch the game on a large outdoor screen on the lawn at the Battery. The Battery is full of fans and there are no places marked off for social distancing because fans watch at their own risk.

Klug said, “For anyone who may be hesitant about going out into a crowd again, I think the guidelines have been great. Personally, there were no other fans within probably 15 feet of us when it was at 33% capacity last week.”

Junior business administration major Samuel Davis said, “Considering the 33% capacity rate and the guidelines for social distancing, I think the Braves have made it very clear that safety is the top priority for fans and the players. I will most definitely be attending some games this season.”

For the latest updates on the Braves’ COVID-19 guidelines, fans can go to the team’s website or follow @Braves on Twitter.

Social distancing markers outside the ticket booth at Truist Park. Photo by Anna Kate Clark
Closed food stands during Tuesday’s game. Photo by Anna Kate Clark