Vacationing as a College Student: Can it be Done?

Photo+by+Ashton+Bonney+
Photo by Ashton Bonney

Every college student has likely said it, or at least had the thought: I need a break.

For a lot of people, that means a vacation.

Sophie Chameli, freshman who has not yet declared a major at Lanier Technical College says, “All I freaking do is work and do my schoolwork. It’s only my freshman year of college and I already want to go on a trip.”

On a day-to-day basis, 82% of college students tend to report having anxiety according to The Jed Foundation. Depression and even forms of stress-induced breakdowns are also common. These overwhelming feelings may lead to the idea behind wanting to take a vacation. Although, with the extremely busy schedules that college students take on, it could be hard to find the money to afford a break away from actuality.

Budgeting can make or break the difference between having the ability to take a vacation or not. If done right, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars by simply setting yourself a budget to work with on your vacation. Consider the amount of money that you are comfortable spending on your time away. Mapping out an itinerary and reviewing the costs of each experience, you could find yourself saving lots in the grand scheme of things.

Photo by Madison Walker

Make the effort to invite others you may want to bring along with you. With a group of people, you can ask for them to pitch in on the price of multiple things. A few examples of things a group can split costs on include groceries, activities, gas and especially a place to stay. This is a simple way to stay within price range and it creates an equal spending amount for each person.

Deciding on a location for your vacation can play a huge factor in what you can spend. Staying closer to home, rather than across the country, can save you lots. Driving to your location of choice may end up being cheaper than booking a flight and determining a form of transportation from an airport. Again, if taking a car, gas can always be split multiple ways. Many cities are big for tourism and depending on your budget, this may be the way you want to go. Tourist attractions are popular for a reason: the prices. There’s many different attractions, pass-times and activities that you can do that cost almost nothing. It’s also not difficult to find coupons and deals.

A vacation can most definitely be achievable and affordable for a college student. If you plan carefully, you don’t have to break your bank to make a great time away from home. Happy travels!