Depression Fears Positivity

Depression Fears Positivity

Depression and anxiety are estimated to affect more than 300 million people around the world. These feelings seem to affect a large population of college student as it inhibits them from preforming to their full abilities.

Licensed therapist of 15 years Linda Banik said, “100 percent of my college patients are for anxiety and depression” and the numbers are not just in relation to her but also her colleagues.

Depression and anxiety cause individuals to become a different person as their thoughts, feelings and even actions change. Banik said, “…sadness becomes more of something that stops you from doing day to day activities,” meaning that depression inhibits your functionality in society.

A UNG student stated “My depression makes it hard for me to get out of bed nevertheless go to class.” This student has struggled to function in everyday life due to their depression therefore their schooling is suffering and it is creating a vicious cycle.

College is a breeding ground for new relationships but most students don’t understand the mental damage they can cause to one another. A UNG student said, “my depression formed during college because of the way I was treated by other students.” This individual has since sought therapy in order to regularly attend classes again.

“The stigma surrounding getting help for mental health inhibits many people from going to therapy” – Linda Banik

Most individuals, not just college students, don’t want to be judged by others for attending therapy therefore they never seek the help they need. This allows their anxiety and depression to control all facets of their lives for extended periods.

Banik said, “You should interview your therapists because they are like teachers. Some are a good fit for you and some are not.”

Anyone that doesn’t have a good place to start should look into the free Student Counseling services provided by UNG.

• Blue Ridge / Dahlonega Campuses: 706-864-1819
  • Cumming Campus: 470-239-3134
  • Gainesville Campus: 678-717-3660
  • Oconee Campus: 706-310-6205
  • Emergency Support Line 24/7: 833-910-3368
  • Self-help videos and resources.

Depression and anxiety inhibit individuals from preforming daily tasks, yet if we find them the proper help, we can make our community a better place. My personal depression has been helped thanks to my therapist, so I know we can all get through this together.