Hiking in the Hills of Dahlonega

Dahlonega is home to a large network of trails suitable for all skill levels. Black Branch Trail is located in the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest and is a great spot for anyone looking to get out and enjoy the fall weather. 

Photo by Sarah Cochran

Black Branch Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail and is primarily used for mountain biking, hiking and horseback riding. There is not a steep elevation gain on this trail, and it is an easy hike the whole way. Depending on the season, a wide diversity of different wildlife and fauna can be found. In the fall season, a remarkable variety of mushrooms could be found of all shapes and sizes. There are also circa 1800’s family cemeteries that can be found on other trails and on the side of the road when driving to the trail.

Photo by Sarah Cochran

The trail is located on forestry service roads, and while all vehicle types can make the drive out, it is not recommended if your vehicle is low to the ground. The only parking available is on the side of the road right at the trailhead. 

Black Branch Trail also has a few meandering creeks throughout it. On the last half of the trail, hikers are required to cross the creek. There could possibly be an easier place to cross down the stream, but continuing on the trail is fairly easy. The creek is only about one leap across so hiking boots or water shoes are recommended in case of potentially not quite making the entire leap.