The Art of Banksy: A Review

Photo by Sarah Cochran

The elusive and mysterious street artist, Banksy, has captivated the world with his art. There have been many exhibits across North America, Europe, and the United Kingdom, where the artist is from. A new exhibit has opened in Atlanta that features both well-known, private, and auctioned creations from the artist. Since the 1990s, Banksy has been an active graffiti artist while staying anonymous. The exhibit is not connected or authorized by the artist.

Photo by Sarah Cochran
Photo by Sarah Cochran

The Art of Banksy “Without Limits” exhibit was opened on Sept. 23 and will continue until Jan. 9 2022. The exhibit is located in Underground Atlanta and features more than 140 works of art. The exhibit showcases Banksy’s graffiti, sculptures, oil paintings, installations, and more.  It takes about an hour to walk through the gallery and different rooms.

The exhibit was relatively small but had a lot of artwork displayed throughout. The inside of the exhibit was very warm and stuffy with not a lot of air circulation. Masks were required as a COVID-19 precaution, but this did not help with the heat. 

Majority of the artworks created by Banksy display themes of hypocrisy, capitalism, and satirically critiquing war. Banksy is able to make a profit from his work by selling original pieces and prints under Pest Control,  the “parent/legal guardian for the artist Banksy.” His work can also be found in auction houses being sold to raise money for charity. Many of the pieces at auction can sell for tens of millions of dollars.

However, this exhibit is not one of these types of events. Because the event is unauthorized and being held by a completely independent party, it is unclear if the artist Banksy will receive any of the profits from the event. The Art of Banksy exhibit also does not have any type of charity connected to them

Photo by Sarah Cochran