Becoming the ‘Ultimutt’ Puppy Parent

College students spend most of their time doing school and trying to stay ahead on assignments, but sometimes it’s nice to have some company.

Matthew Nolan, a sophomore business major at the University of North Georgia and a new owner of a lab puppy, says, “My dog [Goose] follows me around and wants to be with me all the time which makes her a good homework buddy.”

Photo By Luke Rowe

One of the hard parts of owning a puppy as a college student is taking care of it during classes or work. Puppies need to be let out often to go to the bathroom but also spend a lot of time sleeping.

This means the dog is alone for a long time. Puppies need lots of care and attention while they are growing up which can be hard for a college student give. This is where it is important to have a friend that can help you out and take care of the dog while you’re gone so that it always has someone to take care of it.

Delaney Sargent, a friend of Matthew’s and a junior nursing major at the University of North Georgia says, “If Matthew has class, I can usually watch the puppy for a couple hours just to make sure she is OK.”

Photo By Delaney Sargent

The American Kennel Club says it is important to socialize your puppy and expose them to plenty of different atmospheres within the first 16 weeks. They need the right amount of exercise and food to stay happy and healthy.

The AKC also says that puppies need to get their heartworm shot between 12-16 weeks old.

Find more information on how take care of your furry friend here.

You can find puppies at the Lumpkin County Animal Shelter and other places such as the Oconee Humane Society where Matthew found Goose.