Dahlonega’s Best Restaurants

Whether you’re looking for a quick breakfast or a beer and burger, the downtown of Dahlonega has you covered. While there is a wide variety of different restaurants, a few stick out as personal favorites. 

Photo by Sarah Cochran

Spirits Tavern is consistent with serving quality food and friendly service. Their menu includes a wide variety of specialty burgers, hot dogs, homemade desserts, daily specials, and there is a full bar in case you get thirsty.

Spirits Tavern strives to use the best ingredients possible, including humanely raised, hormone-free and antibiotic-free meats. Their menu also features other beef alternatives such as Michigan Farms turkey burgers and Dr. Praeger’s veggie burgers. While this is my place of work, Spirits Tavern has always been a favorite as soon as I moved to Dahlonega. 

Photo by Sarah Cochran

Shenanigans Irish Pub is another favorite among locals and students in Dahlonega. Throughout the week Shenanigans hosts trivia, karaoke and live music. Curbside is also available to patrons who want to enjoy the music and have a drink while they wait for their table or for those just enjoying the atmosphere. 

University of North Georgia junior communications major, Cannon Crompton, says, “The food was amazing and the service was quick. The staff was all very friendly, which contributed to the great atmosphere at Shenanigans… I can’t wait to go back and try other things they have on the menu.”

Picnic Café and Dessertery is your go-to for a quick breakfast walking distance from campus. Picnic is open everyday at 7:30 a.m. so you can grab a coffee, breakfast sandwich, or pastry before your 8 a.m. class. The majority of the breakfast menu is under $5 and quick to make for busy college students who are always on the go.

Photo by Sarah Cochran

Chastain Southern Catering & Cafe is home to the $7 lunch which is perfect for college students on a budget. They only serve lunch and their menu includes a variety of sandwiches with a choice of one of their many rotating sides and soups. 

They run a quiche special everyday along with homemade desserts. Their beverage menu includes the specialty drinks southern vanilla sweet tea and tropical lemonade. This lunch spot only has patio seating available, but their space includes plenty of umbrellas for shade and a fireplace for the colder months.

Feature image credit: “Beautiful Downtown Dahlonega, Georgia” by J. Stephen Conn is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0