Georgia Governor Election Heats Up As Candidates Enter The Race

“Georgia State Capitol, Atlanta, Ga.” by Boston Public Library is licensed under CC BY 2.0

“Next November’s election for governor is a battle for the soul of our state,” said Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp on Twitter in a statement after Stacey Abrams announces she is running for Governor in 2022. 

Abrams, 2018 Democratic candidate and former state representative, announced on Dec. 1 that she will run for governor of Georgia. 

“I’m running for Governor because opportunity in our state shouldn’t be determined by zip code, background or access to power,” said Abrams on Twitter alongside her announcement video.

Kemp will seek reelection in 2022. He released a statement through Twitter on Dec. 2 saying,

“With Stacey Abrams in control, Georgia would have shut down…Her far-left agenda of open borders, gun confiscation, high taxes, and anti-gun law enforcement policies don’t reflect who we are as Georgians.”

David Perdue, former Georgia senator and member of the Republican Party, announced on Dec. 6 that he will run for governor in an attempt to unseat Kemp. 

“I’m running for governor to make sure Stacey Abrams is never governor of Georgia,” said Perdue in his announcement video.

Former President Donald Trump said in a statement, “David was a great senator, and he truly loves his state and his country. This will be very interesting, and I can’t imagine that Brian Kemp, who has hurt election integrity in Georgia so badly, can do well at the ballot box (unless the election is rigged, of course).”

Kemp joined Erick Erickson’s nationally syndicated radio show on Dec. 2 to reiterate what he said on Twitter.

“I’ve been preparing for this fight we’re going to be in for almost three years now…The race against Stacey Abrams and the radical left was indeed a fight for the soul of our state,” said Kemp. 

Republicans Vernon Jones and Kandiss Taylor have also announced they will be running in 2022. 

Georgians will head to the polls Nov. 8, 2022.

You can register to vote here.