M&M’S Says It Will Make Changes Toward Inclusivity

Photo by M&M’S

The Mars, Incorporated chocolate brand recently released a statement saying it will make changes to the appearance of their iconic M&M’S characters. 

The company says it’s “a global commitment to creating a world where everyone feels they belong, and society is inclusive.”

Mars, Incorporated and M&M’S have set a goal of “increasing the sense of belonging for 10 million people around the world by 2025.”

Cathryn Sleight, Chief Growth Officer at Mars Wrigley said, “M&M’S has long been committed to creating colorful fun for all, and this purpose serves as a more concrete commitment to what we’ve always believed as a brand: that everyone has the right to enjoy moments of happiness, and fun is the most powerful way to help people feel that they belong.”

Sleight added, “As one of the world’s most iconic candy brands, who better to commit to a world with more moments of fun by increasing a sense of belonging around the globe than M&M’S?”

Courtesy of M&M’S

As they roll out different changes, one of the most noticeable will be “A fresh, modern take on the looks of our beloved characters and more nuanced personalities to underscore the importance of self-expression and power of community through storytelling.”

The green M&M’S character will now wear sneakers and the brown M&M will wear lower heels.

Trevor Noah, host of “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” said on his show “This whole movement is just weird to me. I’m all for representation where it matters, but not in the things we eat…But I guess that’s 2022, right?” 

Fox News contributor Kat Timpf called the new version of the green M&M a “snake” and “conniving, climbing little bitch” on a recent episode of “Gutfeld!” 

Jane Hwang, Global Marketing Vice President, Mars Wrigley said “We’re excited to reveal our new M&M’S brand look and feel, which fans will see come to life across all M&M’S touchpoints around the globe.”