The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Being a Residential Assistant

RA Sitting Desk in Commons 1

Being a residential assistant at the University of North Georgia has its perks, but current RA’s still believe there are reasons to hesitate before applying in the fall.

Braeden Prell, a sophomore marketing major, says it is weird being on the other side of residence life.

Prell says, “It is cool as far as hall events go being able to involve, organize, and invest in a hall event. My last event had 15-16 people there. It is cool to see the payoff of residents coming to have fun.”

Prell adds, “You really can not ignore the perks of having free room and a free meal plan, but aside from that, there is a whole community of people that I would have never known without the RA job.”

Deadlines can make the job very tough on RA’s. RA’s might have a lot of school work on top of decorating a hallway bulletin board that same night, says Prell.

Abigayle Roma, a sophomore public relations major, says that you still have to take 12 class credits per semester to be an RA.

Roma says, “As an RA, you have to take extra care when it comes to scheduling because you have to balance your class schedule with a job that technically you are always on call for.”

Abigayle also said she did not know about the free room and board before applying. Despite that, she said the best part is still the residents you get to meet because they all have a story.

Roma adds, “It is a gift to see them grow into an individual, and helping them along that journey is amazing.”

RA Helping a Resident

Roma continues, “One of the best parts about being an RA is the staff you work with… lots of companies say they want their work base to be families, but they’re lying to you. Honestly, the RA staff feels like a family… we’re always there for each other when it comes to it.”

While Abigayle seemed to have a very positive outlook on the job, she still has some cons for being an RA.

Roma says the two most difficult parts of being a residential assistant are the sleep schedule and the boundaries she must enforce on students.

Abigayle says that despite being friends with some of the residents she oversees, she must keep a professional tone with them during her working hours.

Being an RA can be a rewarding experience for students, but there are certainly pros and cons to the job.