Mead in the Mountains

One of the oldest beverages and a favorite of the Vikings and Norsemen can be found right here in Dahlonega, Georgia. Etowah Meadery has over a dozen different types of mead ranging from light and sparking to a more dry and traditional style. 

Mead is made of fermented honey and different fruits to create the same variety that can be found in the production of wine. Of all of the meads, my personal favorite was Granny’s Apple Pie which tastes shockingly just like apple pie. The Stone Pile Peach was my favorite of their more traditional variety. 

Photo by Sarah Cochran

Former employee and Kennesaw State University psychology major Shari Garret says, “At Etowah Meadery, there really is something for everybody. Etowah’s owners have also launched Dahlonega Brewery which includes all types of beer from lagers to porters.”

Garret continues saying, “One of the things I loved most about working there was all the lovely vibes the establishment strives to create for the customers. Things such as live music, trivia night, corn hole and food trucks. I absolutely loved working there and being part of the Etowah family. I would still be working there if it wasn’t for my studies, but every time I go visit I’m welcomed with open arms.”

The owners of Etowah Meadery, Blair and Sharon Housley, have also made a point to support multiple local charities. This veteran owned company supports many Veteran centric organizations along with the Georgia House Rabbit Society, a nonprofit domestic rabbit rescue.

Junior accounting major Jake Nash says, “It was moderately priced, not too expensive, and the vibe was very relaxed southern comfort style… seating could’ve been more comfortable”

Etowah Meadery is located on Highway 19 just past Cavender Creek Road on the left, and they are open Wednesday through Sunday. For more information, you can visit their website.