UNG’s Glizzy Gladiator Hosted by Kappa Sigma

On Feb. 10, Kappa Sigma hosted the Glizzy Gladiator, a hotdog eating competition, outside of the Stewart Center on the University of North Georgia Dahlonega campus. 

It was set to last for seven minutes, with whoever eats the most hotdogs taking home the title of Glizzy Gladiator. 15 to 20 people competed in the event with around 40 spectators turning up to watch them compete. The event was $8 to enter and a fundraiser to help soldiers coming home from war.

Max Forbes, a sophomore business and marketing major, a member of the fraternity said, “Thought we’d have at least like six people, but we didn’t think this many people would come watch.” 

Competitors eating the hot dogs. Photo by Ashley Brehm
Hayden Pike holding the trophy. Photo by Ashley Brehm

The title ended up going to Hayden Pike, a sophomore criminal justice major. His plans going into the competition were, “not to win,” however, he ended up claiming the title after eating seven and a half hotdogs in seven minutes. Ola Adeko had pointed him out before the competition and said, “I knew Pike would win. He’s the Glizzy Gladiator.”

Senior Biology major Callie Mauersberg said, “This is the most interesting thing to happen on campus this year.”

Third place winner Tyson Rumley said, “I don’t want to eat another hotdog again for a while.”

Copper the dog. Photo by Ashley Brehm

Brody Becker, who ate five and a half dogs said, “I will never eat another hot dog again.”

Vanguard’s own Cannon Crompton, a junior communication major, competed in the event. He was only able to finish two hotdogs but had fun nonetheless. He said, “It’s hard to pinpoint one best part, but the overall atmosphere and the vibe of it was amazing. I had a great time and was glad I was part of the competition.”

Copper, an actual dog, was in attendance and enjoyed the extra attention from the spectators.