The United States Brings Home the Gold From Beijing

Photo by Vytautas Dranginis

The United States won 25 medals at this year’s Winter Olympics in Beijing, including eight gold medals, ten silver medals and seven bronze medals.

List of all medals won by the United States at the 2022 Winter Olympics (chart by Cooper Huau)

Some notable medalists are Chloe Kim, winning the Women’s Snowboard Halfpipe, and skier Jessie Diggins, who won silver and bronze in the Women’s 30-kilometer Mass Start Free and the Women’s Sprint Free, respectively.

Cannon Crompton, a junior communications major, says he has been keeping up with this year’s Olympics, but not as much as the previous Winter Olympics.

Crompton says, “My favorite events are always men’s and women’s ice hockey. It’s always been my favorite because I grew up playing ice hockey, and it’s my favorite sport.”

The U.S. Women’s Hockey Team lost the gold medal game against Canada, and the U.S. Men’s Hockey Team lost to Slovakia in the quarterfinals and was not eligible for a medal.

Branding for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing (Photo by Christian Lue)

Parker Gowland, a sophomore business major, says he didn’t keep up with the Olympics closely but that he still watched certain events.

Gowland says, “Snowboarding is my favorite event and has always been my favorite event. I don’t understand many of the other events, but snowboarding is pretty easy to figure out. I also appreciate how insanely hard snowboarding is.”

The United States snowboarders won one silver medal and three gold medals across all events.

Famous U.S. Olympic snowboarder Shaun White participated in the Beijing Winter Olympics, but he fell in his final run and was unable to medal. He has since decided to retire from his Olympic career.

While the United States may not have won the most medals out of all nations, they still came away fifth behind only Norway, Germany, the Russian Olympic Committee and Canada in the total count. Additionally, the United States finished fourth in the race for the most gold medals.