The World Series Comes to Dahlonega

The Commissioner’s Trophy (Photo by Alex Hartman)

On Friday, Feb. 25, the Atlanta Braves Commissioner’s Trophy tour made a stop in the Dahlonega mountains to share the championship with fans.

The trophy was available to see and get a picture of or with starting at two p.m. and lasting until six p.m.

Connor Moore, a freshman cybersecurity major, said that the trophy tour is a great opportunity to engage with fans.

He says, “It’s amazing that they recognize [UNG] and create memories that will last, especially since the next season might be postponed.”

Security at the Commissioner’s Trophy showcase in Dahlonega (photo by Cooper Huau)

The 2022 MLB season is currently on hold due to an owner-imposed lockout due to failed labor negotiations between the Major League Baseball Players Association and MLB team owners.

Jason Lyle, a junior marketing major, says that it is clear how much the Braves care about their fans through this trophy tour.

He says, “The Atlanta teams always struggled, so it is nice that they’d share [the trophy] with everyone.”

The World Series win against the Houston Astros signals a shift to a new era for Atlanta sports. Atlanta sports fans have had very little to be excited about in recent years, and there have been plenty of losses that have stung in the past decade.

Dahlonega is not the final spot for the trophy. The Commissioner’s Trophy will tour multiple states soon, including Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Mississippi. Dates and times for all venues have not yet been announced, but more information can be found here.