A Season to Remember

The University of North Georgia’s women’s basketball team stepped out on the court with many goals in mind which have been accomplished in the 2021-22 basketball season. 

As soon as the team stepped on the court at the beginning of the season, everyone knew the Nighthawks were destined for a great season after defeating Georgia State 69-54, a division one school, in a preseason exhibition match. That win kicked off a seven-game win streak to start the season for the Nighthawks.

Celebrations were held throughout the season as senior Julianne Sutton scored her 2,000th career point and her 1,000th career rebound within a week of one another. Sutton finished her season third in the Peach Belt Conference for most points scored in the 2021-22 season. Seniors Josie Earnhardt also hit a major milestone when she scored her 1,000th career point. Earnhardt ranked second in the conference for most three-pointers made in the 2021-22 season. Senior Abbie Franklin broke the UNG all-time career assist record for the team, as well. 

Winning the Peach Belt Conference Tournament Championship for the fourth time in five years, the Nighthawks punched their ticket to the NCAA Elite 8 in Birmingham, AL for the second time in program history (the first being in 2019). Going out with a bang, the Nighthawks made their first-ever appearance in the NCAA Final Four.

Coach Buffie Burson wraps up her 28th season coaching and North Georgia finished the historic season with an overall record of 29-4, a conference record of 16-2, and a final NCAA ranking of number four in the nation. 

Basketball seniors Jamari McDavid, Franklin, and Sutton combine for four PBC Tournament Championships, three PBC regular-season championships, and two Elite Eight appearances.