Lines, a Ferris Wheel and Funnel Cake: UNG Spring Jam Returns

Nighthawks Entertainment at the University of North Georgia Dahlonega campus brought the Spring Jam back in 2022. On April 7, UNG students were invited to come to the Dahlonega drill field and enjoy carnival rides, free food and time with friends. More than 1,000 students attended the event.

Line to get into the Spring Jam. Photo by Ashley Brehm

Betsy Chambers, a freshman English major, while waiting in line for funnel cake said, “It’s really fun and fresh, but the line is really the only thing we have experienced.” Ella Whitfield, a freshman studio art major, was upset that the event had run out of fried Oreos which was one of the main reasons she was in attendance.

Jeslyn Kim, a sophomore biology pre-dental major, said “They could have more food stations. I know people are looking forward to it.” She also thought the entrance line was too long and signing a waiver to get in was only holding up the line.

Red Bull Mini-Coop. Photo by Ashley Brehm

Claire Owen, a freshman psychology major, also though there could be more food stations. She said “I’m really cold and it’s kind of underwhelming. The food is underwhelming.” Andrew Bright, a freshman business major, also thought the long lines for food brought down the mood of the event.

The free food offered was a shared reason for many of the students in attendance. Quinn Roycroft, a sophomore psychology major, said, “It’s pretty loud but cool. Hopefully the line for chow isn’t too long because that’s why I’m here, the actual one is closed.”

Lines for the Ferris wheel and funnel cake. Photo by Ashley Brehm

Cole Williamson, a freshman engineering major, said “It looks badass, but the structural integrity of the Ferris wheel looks questionable.”

Ava Stalvey, a freshman history major, said “It was very minimal, but it was fun to have something.” Her favorite part of the event was that it was free, she said, “I got a free t-shirt and funnel cake.” However, like other students, didn’t enjoy the long wait lines. She said, “The lines were stupid long, and it didn’t seem very organized. Everyone showed up at once and made it chaotic.”

Lines at the Spring Jam. Photo by Ashley Brehm

However, some students opted out of attending the event. Diane Gomez, a freshman elementary education major, said “The Spring Jam is too much of a social interaction for me. It looks fun though.”

Feature Image by: Charlotte Hancock