Rings and Runs: Gwinnett Stripers Win Home Opener in Close Game

Photo by Cannon Crompton

The Gwinnett Stripers won their home opener on April 12 with effective pitching and good offense despite a late push by the Nashville Sounds.  

Photo by Cannon Crompton

Starting pitcher Touki Toussaint made his second start of the season. Against the Sounds, he pitched four innings and allowed one earned run on four hits. He also had eight strikeouts and three walks.  

Photo by Cannon Crompton

Designated hitter, Greyson Jenista, hit two home runs and was a major factor in the Stripers win. He went 2-3 with two RBIs. Jenista is making his Triple-A debut this season. So far this season, he has a .381 batting average with four home runs and eight RBIs through seven games.  

First baseman, John Nogowski also had a strong offensive performance going 2-3 with a home run and no strikeouts. Two of the home runs were hit in the Stripers’ three run third inning. Nogowski broke his two-game hitless streak with two hits against the Sounds.  

Photo by Cannon Crompton
Photo by Cannon Crompton

The Stripers held a 4-1 lead through eight innings. The Sounds scored two runs in the ninth inning to try and take the lead or tie but came up short as Brad Brach got his first save of the season.  

Photo by Cannon Crompton

The Stripers won the game 4-3 to they kick of their first full homestand of the season. They improved to 7-6 all-time in home openers.  

Before the game, six Stripers players received their World Series rings. These players were a part of the Atlanta Braves 26-man postseason roster when they won the World Series last season, but currently play for their Triple-A affiliate. The coaching staff also received World Series rings. Toussaint elected to receive his ring at another time and was not on the field prior to the game.  

Of the six current Stripers who got rings, only pitchers Tucker Davidson and Dylan Lee appeared in World Series games. Davidson started Game 5 and Lee started Game 4.  

The Double-A affiliate of the Braves, the Mississippi Braves, won their championship and the five players from the team that are currently playing for the Stripers received their rings before the game. Stripers front office personnel also received World Series rings. 

The Stripers play the Sounds in their first homestand of the season, which is six games from April 12 through April 17. The Stripers return home April 26 through May 1 to play the Norfolk Tides in their next set of home games. Tickets and more info can be found on the Stripers’ website

Photo by Cannon Crompton
Photo of the five Mississippi Braves receiving their MiLB Double-A championship rings. Photo by Cannon Crompton
Photo by Cannon Crompton