Bear on the Square Festival Takes Over Dahlonega

The Bear on the Square Mountain Festival will take over the Dahlonega Public Square on April 23. The event will last throughout the weekend and appeals to all ages.

The festival will celebrate Appalachian culture through art and music. Younger children are encouraged to attend, as there will be countless family and kid-friendly activities to participate in.

There will be numerous musical groups playing throughout the daytime. Starting at 11 a.m. on both days of the festival, musicians will be playing bluegrass and old-timey music, and there will be approximately 70 artist vendors set up all around the square.

Additionally, per the festival’s website, there will be “a Sunday morning Gospel Jam, a street dance, a live auction, children’s activities… and a heritage center demonstrating mountain traditions.”

Ben Haskew, a freshman nursing major, says he heard about the event from a friend and plans on attending.

“I love listening to music and viewing art. I would be interested in story-telling for sure,” says Haskew.

Haskew adds, “I wish there were more events with unique art and music in Dahlonega. It is a good break from the stress of school.”

There are numerous sponsors for the event, and more information can be found on the official event website.