UNG Men’s and Women’s Soccer Teams Move Closer to Playoffs

Photo by Danielle Gier

The end of the regular season is approaching for both men’s and women’s soccer teams at the University of North Georgia, and both have a chance at postseason play.

The men’s team is hanging onto a playoff spot in the Peach Belt Conference tournament with three games to play. The women’s team is tied for second in the PBC with only three games to play as well.

Freshman kinesiology major and midfielder, Max Garnett, said that team chemistry this season has been a significant factor.

“A lot of new kids, almost half of our starting 11 are either transfers or freshmen,” Garnett said. Garnett also said that many of the struggles that the team has had to do with creating chances and taking advantage of their opponent’s mistakes. So far this season, the UNG men’s soccer team has been outscored and outshot, spending more time on their own half than threatening on the opponent’s half of the field.

Garnett is confident that their upcoming games are winnable, and he stressed the importance of off-ball work as a key factor to help them win the rest of their games.

Photo by Kaitlin Fortney

Freshman business major and defender, Alexa Aronoff, said one of the women’s team’s keys to success was team-building activities outside of soccer.

“We will do pasta dinners at someone’s house,” Aronoff said. She also said that most of the team shows up for these and they spend time just hanging around with each other.

Another factor for success Aronoff mentioned was the competitiveness that the new freshman brought to practices. She said it has helped, “prepare [the team] for games better.” 

Aronoff said that the team won’t be making any changes heading into the playoffs.

“We want to be the team that other people change for,” Aronoff said. She said the team wants to continue to improve in the final third, getting more shots and more finishes.

For more information on both teams and their schedules, click here.