Get out and Climb

Photo by Charlotte Hancock

Fall and give up or keep pushing yourself to greater heights. University of North Georgia’s Dahlonega campus recreation center offers students the chance to challenge themselves with two rock climbing walls.

The rec center features a 33-foot top-rope wall and shorter bouldering wall. Both walls are updated throughout the semester to make new runs and challenges.

Charlotte Hancock, a junior East Asian studies major, said the climbing walls offer a comfortable environment for people looking to start climbing or seasoned climbers who don’t want to make a drive to a climbing gym closer to Atlanta or Athens, Georgia. Hancock climbs at the wall regularly. She says, “It’s a good social circle of some really cool people. Even if you’re not into climbing it’s a great place to start.”

Outdoor Pursuits, who runs the wall and other outdoor activities, and the rec center offer several events throughout the year to get students involved in climbing and outdoor activities including trail cleanups, zip-lining and outdoor climbing activities.

Eleanor Hopkins, a senior marketing major, competes in the Boulder Bashes held by the school and “won all the ones [she] showed up to.” She has also competed in the Thunderhead Summit Challenges the last few years, but decided not to compete in 2022’s.

Hopkins thinks that Outdoor Pursuits can get more people involved by “promoting more, doing more outreach and just more stuff in general. I think if we had more events people would want to come.”

Laken Ferrell, a junior geospatial intelligence major, says Outdoor Pursuits “is very well organized from what I can see. I just think sometimes it’s a little bit on the pricey side for the climbs they go to.” He says, “Indian Seat is a mid at best climb for them to be charging $30 for it.”

Photo by Charlotte Hancock

Zach Enright, a sophomore computer science major, and president of the climbing club, agrees that the “UNG walls are great to get people introduced to climbing.” Enright also says the best way people have been able to find out about the club it through word of mouth. The climbing club is also active on Instagram (@northgeorgiaclimbing).

Enright says “Outdoor Pursuits does the best they can to try and promote not only climbing, but all outdoor-based activities…”

The UNG climbing walls are open from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday-Thursday and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday. For more information about the events and the click here.