Nighthawks Are Ready to Run it Back on the Court

Photo by Chaz Mullis

Basketball season is days away, and both the men’s and women’s teams have a lot to be excited about.

Both teams will open their seasons on the road. The women will take on Emmanuel College on Friday, Nov. 11 at 5 p.m. and the men will take on Limestone University at 7 p.m.

Last season the women’s team made it as far as the Final Four in NCAA Division II.

Junior exercise science major and Nighthawks guard, Caroline Martin said, “There’s many goals we need to meet.” She said beating certain teams, winning in the regular season, the Peach Belt Conference and regionals were some of the goals the team had in place on the road to winning a championship.

Martin said she was very impressed with the hustle she saw from the new players throughout the offseason.

Photo by Danielle Grier

The last season was not as successful for the men’s team, as their season came to a close in the postseason conference tournament.

Junior business marketing major and Nighthawks forward, Frank Champion said, “This year there’s just a different vibe.” Champion said the team was able to bring back four of the five starters, while also bringing in multiple freshmen and transfers.

Champion said the team principles have not changed, but there has been an emphasis on turning defense into offense.

The women’s team will play the first home game this season on Nov. 15 at 5:30 p.m. against Tusculum University. The men will have their first home game on Nov. 19 at noon against Lincoln Memorial University.

More information on each of the teams and their schedules can be found here.