UNG Women’s Soccer Scores Second Straight NCAA Appearance

Photo by Cooper Huau

The University of North Georgia women’s soccer team wrapped up another successful season last month.

The Nighthawks finished the season with 10 wins, five losses, and three draws. The 10-win season marked Kayley Ralton’s second straight 10-win season in her three years as the Nighthawks’ head coach.

This season marked the fourth straight conference semifinal appearance for the Nighthawks. That earned the team its second straight trip to the NCAA tournament against Columbus State, which ended up being a 4-2 loss.

There was a lot of senior talent this season that led to much of the team’s success.

Forward Skylar Abbott scored in three different matchups this season and shot 25% this season.

Photo by Olivia Dumphy

Forward Abbie Crane found the back of the net on 10 different occasions and had three assists to her name this season.

Photo by Olivia Dumphy

Crane said, “The biggest lesson I have learned is that you might not be the most talented player, but you can always be the hardest-working player.” She also had some advice for current and future student-athletes.

“Never take the opportunity to play at a collegiate level for granted because it will go by quicker than you think. Make the most of every day in the weight room, at practice, or during a game. Lastly, remember you are playing for more than just the coaches – you’re playing for your teammates, your family, and yourself so use that as your motivation every day,” Crane said.

“My favorite memories from my career at UNG have to be my goal celebrations. I always jump on the closest person to me and hope they catch me. Overall, my favorite memory was when we beat Georgia College in overtime about two years ago, and I scored the game-winning goal in double overtime. The team dog-piled me on the field afterward because we were so excited,” Crane said.

Midfielder Megan Dumond had five goals and four assists and played in all of UNG’s 18 contests this season.

Photo by Olivia Dumphy

Midfielder Skylar Dzenis had one assist this season and many valuable minutes for the Nighthawks.

“During my time playing soccer at UNG, I learned that hard work pays off. When you work hard, you will accomplish your goals. Some advice to incoming student-athletes is to put in that extra work to make yourself and your team better,” said Dzenis.

Photo by Olivia Dumphy

Dzenis said, “My most fond memory of my UNG career is scoring a goal in my hometown against Valdosta State. My whole family came out to watch, and it was a great experience. This is a memory that will last forever.”

Midfielder Grace Morgan had two goals and an assist credited to her name in 16 games this season.

Defender Kaleigh Killeen played the full 90 minutes for 11 of the Nighthawks’ 17 games this season helping lead the team to 10 wins.

Photo by Olivia Dumphy

For more information about the UNG women’s soccer team visit The UNG athletics homepage.