A New Treasure Unearthed in Dahlonega

Hemp will be the next gold rush of Dahlonega, says owner of Blue 42 Organics. Blue 42 Organics is a cannabis and coffee shop that will open in Dahlonega, Georgia in early 2023.

Henry Ostaszewski and his brother drew from their years as football players when they created their company Blue 42 Organics. The phrase “Blue 42” is an audible used in football that the quarterback uses to call plays. For Ostaszewski it is a “mindset to always be able to change direction in business.” He says that in the cannabis industry, the rules are always changing, and you never know what obstacles you will encounter.

Blue 42 Market in Dahlonega will be the first physical location for the company, says Ostaszewski. He says he fell in love with Dahlonega and the mountains. During research, he also found that hemp grows really well in North Georgia. He says that “north Georgia is ideal for growing hemp and cannabis for medicinal purposes.”

Cannabis plants growing indoors under grow lights. Photo by Mackenzie Anderson.

He also chose Dahlonega because the University of North Georgia is nearby. One of the things he hopes to do is partner with the business students and help fund projects they want to do with hemp. He wants to be able to help take their ideas to market.

Ostaszewski recognizes that Dahlonega is a unique community and he hopes to join and build the community of Dahlonega. “We want to bring goodness to the community through our bakery and coffee shop,” Ostaszewski said. Blue 42 Market will also be selling CBD products, and he says that while some people are against it, there are a lot of people excited for it.

Blue 42 Market will also be partnering with local vendors to supply their store with food. Ostaszewski envisions having farmers markets with the local vendors on the weekends, but mainly he just wants Blue 42 Market to be a fun place for the community. Blue 42 Market will also be growing a lot of their own vegetables for the bakery. Ostaszewski says that when you come to the store “if you’re not in a good mood, we hope you’ll leave in a good mood.” He hopes to open in early spring around March or April of 2023.

Greenhouse growing vegetables and cannabis. Photo by Mackenzie Anderson.

Cannabis is a drug. “I’m not going to get around and say it’s not what it is. It is no different to me though than going to a liquor store and buying a fifth of whiskey or bourbon,” says Ostaszewski.

The cannabis industry is highly regulated and Ostaszewski says that he is alright with the regulations because they keep people from making shortcuts in the industry to get their products to market.

Ostaszewski wants to make sure that people know that the products he sells are not intended to cure or diagnose illnesses. However, cannabidiol or CBD, has made a difference in the lives of the Blue 42 Organics team and their customers. He now hopes to make a positive impact in the Dahlonega community through the bakery and coffee shop and, of course, his CBD products.

Story by Mackenzie Anderson