WWE Powerbombs Into Atlanta

World Wrestling Entertainment brought its Holiday Tour Supershow to Atlanta on Dec. 30 at State Farm Arena. In a night filled with nonstop professional wrestling action, fans saw three championship titles get defended.

In the main event match, Atlanta native Austin Theory successfully defended his United States Championship against Seth “Freaking” Rollins inside a steel cage.

The match had back and forth action with both wrestlers having opportunities to win. Theory ended up getting the win by pinfall to successfully retain his title. He landed his signature, big hitting move, A-Town Down to get the win in front of the home crowd. Rollins attempted his signature move, The Stomp, multipole times, but was unsuccessful during the match.

After the match ended, Theory grabbed a microphone and spoke to the crowd, “This is the last time you will see Seth Rollins in a ring.”

Rollins was face down in the ring while Theory said that. He then got up, threw Theory to the mat and finally landed The Stomp. This added to their on-screen feud, despite the show not being televised.

The Raw Women’s Championship was also defended in the first match of the night. Raw Women’s Champion Bianca Belair defeated Becky Lynch to retain her title. The match ended in a no contest after Bayley ran out and interrupted the match by attacking both Belair and Lynch. In the event of a count-out or disqualification, the champion retains their title.

Raw Women’s Champion, Bianca Belair (right), flexing on her opponent Becky Lynch (left). Photo by Cannon Crompton

The third title that was defended was the Undisputed Tag Team Championship, held by Jimmy and Jey Uso, known as the Usos. The Usos, accompanied to the ring by Sami Zayn and Solo Sikoa are members of the faction The Bloodline. The Usos successfully defended their tag team title against Braun Strowman and Ricochet.

The match started slow because Strowman, who is 6-foot-8 and weighs 385 pounds, caused the Usos to be scared and reluctant to make any moves. After Strowman tagged in Ricochet, the action began. Ricochet and his high-flying acrobatic moves were on display throughout the match, as well as Strowman’s strength.

Photo by Cannon Crompton

The match ended in a disqualification after Sami Zayn, known currently as the “Honorary Uce,” interfered with the match. After his interference, a brawl broke out that led Kevin Owens to run out from backstage to help Strowman and Ricochet. Owens then challenged The Usos and Zayn to a 6-man tag-team match, which was reluctantly accepted.

The match ended with Owens getting the pinfall win for his tag-team after landing his signature Stunner. The final exchange between Owens and Zayn was fast paced and action packed. Zayn landed a Superman Punch, but failed to land the Spear, both of which are signature moves of the “Tribal Chief” and leader of The Bloodline, Roman Reigns.

Bray Wyatt wrestled Jinder Mahal in a short and sweet match. Wyatt dominated the match after answering an open challenge from Mahal. Wyatt got the win by pinfall after landing his signature move, Sister Abagail, which led to one of the biggest crowd reactions of the night.

Fans were thrilled to see Wyatt back in the ring with this being his second match of the year. Wyatt has not had a televised match since April 11, 2021. He was released from the company on July 31, 2021 and then came back to WWE on Oct. 8 at Extreme Rules.

Wyatt’s last time wrestling in Georgia was at WWE Starrcade 2019 on Dec. 1, 2019 at Gas South Arena, Infinite Energy Arena at the time, in Duluth, Georgia.

Bobby Lashley defeated Omos after returning from suspension. Lashley was suspended after an attack during the Dec. 12 episode of Monday Night Raw. Lashley, who Is 6-foot-3 and weighs 273 pounds, looked small standing across the ring from Omos, who stands 7-foot-3 and weighs 403 pounds.

Bobby Lashley standing on the ropes prior to his match on Dec. 30 in Atlanta. Photo by Cannon Crompton

Karrion Kross got a dominant win against Drew Gulak. Kross was in control the whole match and got an easy pinfall victory.

The New Day, the current WWE NXT tag-team champions, with Madcap Moss defeated Imperium by pinfall. Back and forth action with brute strength from Imperium and high flying moves from The New Day led to an exciting match.

The New day is Kofi Kingston and Atlanta native Xavier Woods. The third member of The New Day is Big E, who has been out of action since March after breaking his neck in a match. Imperium is led by Intercontinental Champion Gunther, Ludwig Kaiser and Giovanni Vinci.

Woods’ father was in attendance. Woods made fans aware after getting up on a ring post and yelling to the crowd and pointing, “That’s my dad.”

Legado Del Fantasma, made up of Santos Escobar, Joaquin Wilde and Cruz del Toro, won a tag-team match against The Brawling Brutes, made up of Sheamus, Ridge Holland and Butch. Both factions have multiple people, but only two from each competed. Wilde and del Toro from Legado Del Fantasma competed against Sheamus and Holland.

As their name says, The Brawling Brutes brought the heavy hitting action that led to an exciting match with big moments.

This was WWE’s sixth show in Georgia in 2022 and their first since the June 29 episode of Friday Night Smackdown. Out of the six, only two were televised. Smackdown and the WWE Day 1 premier live event that was on Jan. 1 2022 at State Farm Arena.

WWE’s Holiday Tour Supershow is a tour of live, non-televised events. They currently have no upcoming WWE events in Atlanta, but based on past years fans won’t have to wait too long to see WWE live again.

Full Results from Dec. 27 WWE Live Holiday Tour Supershow

Bianca Belair retains Raw Women’s Champion vs Becky Lynch (No contest)

Bobby Lashley defeats Omos by pinfall

The New Day (Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods) and Madcap Moss def. Imperium

The Usos retain WWE Undisputed Tag-Team Title vs Braun Strowman and Richochet (DQ)

Braun Strowman, Ricochet and Kevin Owens def. The Bloodline (Jey Uso, Jimmy Uso and Sami Zayn) by pinfall

Legado del Fantasma (Cruz del Toro and Joaquin Wilde) def. The Brawling Brutes (Ridge Holland and Sheamus) by pinfall

Bray Wyatt def. Jinder Mahal by pinfall

Austin Theory retains United States Championship against Seth “Freaking” Rollins by pinfall