AJ Green Retires from Football

Photo by Ian Johnson/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Longtime NFL wide receiver, AJ Green, is set to retire this offseason. After 12 seasons, Green had a great professional career and will be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2027.

“I’ve never been a man of many words, so I’ll keep this short. Thank you to all who have supported, encouraged, and inspired me throughout my career. Special thank you to the University of Georgia, Cincinnati Bengals, and Arizona Cardinals for the opportunity to pursue my dreams. I’ve stayed true to the game, and it owes me nothing. Be blessed.. Love y’all! The next chapter begins…” – AJ Green 

In his collegiate career Green finished with 166 catches, 2,619 yards and 23 touchdowns with UGA. In his freshman year, he was named Southeastern Conference freshman of the year. He was also named to the first-team All American twice in his three year career with Georgia.

In the NFL he had his longest and best tenure with the Cincinnati Bengals. Green was drafted by the Bengals in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, he was selected fourth overall. In each of Green’s first five seasons in the NFL, he had over 1,000 receiving yards.

From 2011 to 2017 he made seven straight Pro Bowls, and two second team All-Pro selections in 2012 and 2013.

For most of Green’s career, Andy Dalton was his quarterback, bringing them to five consecutive playoff appearances. “You’re a legend! Thankful I got to be part of it. You did it the right way. Teammate turned brother. Congrats!” Dalton said.

In 2016 Green had one of the best catch percentages in the NFL with a 66% catch rate.

Heading into the 2019 campaign, Green suffered a season ending ankle injury during a practice session in Training Camp. 2020 would be the last season he would play for the Bengals.

2021 would be a sign of change for Green, playing for a new team in the NFL for the first time in his career. He joined the up and coming Cardinals team, joining the likes of Kyler Murray and DeAndre Hopkins. In 2021 they would make the playoffs, but would ultimately lose in the Wild Card round on the road to division rival LA Rams.

“One of the best to ever do it. Appreciate you bro,” said Cardinals’ teammate Kyler Murray.

As mentioned before, Green made five playoff appearances between the Bengals and Cardinals but was never able to be win a playoff game, as each of those teams were one and done.

In the end AJ Green finished with 727 catches, 10,514 receiving yards, and 70 touchdowns in the NFL.