UNG Celebrates Sesquicentennial at Georgia State Capitol

Photo from Shuttershock

In honor of 150 years of military and academic tradition, the University of North Georgia is celebrating its sesquicentennial anniversary today at the Georgia State Capitol’s Liberty Plaza. The Sesquicentennial Capitol Celebration will feature several guest speakers and performances during the ceremony. The event begins at 2 p.m.

During the Capitol Celebration, Governor Brian Kemp will deliver a speech, as will UNG President Bonita Jacobs, University System of Georgia Chancellor and former governor Sonny Perdue and Maj. Gen. Dwayne Wilson, commanding General of the Georgia Army National Guard. According to Vice President of University Relations Kate Maine the event is open to the public and anyone may attend. Maine, who serves as the Chief of Staff to President Jacobs, says she and her staff have been working with Governor Kemp’s office to organize the event.

Senior political science major Nick Ives says, “The Capitol Celebration is the perfect recognition for what UNG has accomplished in the past 150 years.” 

The event is a celebration of the long military tradition of UNG. Ives says that although he is not a cadet, he finds “UNG creates the military and civilian leaders of tomorrow,” and “seeing the leadership skills my brothers in the Corps have developed assures me our country’s military will be in good hands.”

Ives says he thinks the alumni have helped to ensure the preservation of our university. “Governmental leaders such as Speakers of the Georgia House of Representatives Tom Murphy and David Ralston, along with Senate Pro Temp Butch Miller and Will Wade, are just a few of the many influential alumni always looking out for the well-being of our university.”

In addition to the guest speakers, attendees can expect performances from members of the Golden Eagle Band, Patriot Choir and the Blue Ridge Rifles drill team during the ceremony, says Maine. 

Maine says that “military education has been an integral element at UNG since our establishment” in 1873. “The military review,” she says, “is one way we are recognizing this important milestone and UNG’s role as the Military College of Georgia.”

Ives says the Corps of Cadets Review will “increase morale” because “students will know that others recognize the successes of our university.”