Nighthawk Preview Gives Future Students a Look at UNG

On Saturday. Feb. 25, the University of North Georgia welcomed prospective undergraduate students to the Dahlonega campus for Nighthawk Preview Open House. Nighthawk Preview allowed potential students to explore campus and gather information on topics such as admissions, Corps of Cadets, housing, meal plans, financial aid and degrees offered at UNG.

After prospective students checked in, they were allowed to walk to informational tables based on each degree or student interests offered at UNG. Students were able to speak with department heads for degrees they may be interested in which gave the opportunity for any questions they may have to be answered.

After tabling, students and their families listened in on a presentation that gave information on life at UNG. Small informational sessions were offered after the conclusion of the presentation, which allowed for small tours of campus buildings and housing along with the chance to further explore academic options for students.

Hannah Davidson, senior at Pike County High School attended Nighthawk Preview because she has been accepted to UNG. Davidson says she’s interested in earning a degree in Forensics. She said that this was an opportunity to tour the campus and see what UNG has to offer. “I have two other schools [Georgia College and State University and Jacksonville State University] I’m picking from and this open house will help me make my choice.” Davidson says, “I really liked the biology table, that’s what I want to major in. The psychology table also seemed interesting, and I wasn’t even considering psychology.” 

Another student, a junior at Etowah High School said he attended Nighthawk preview for his college visit and is seeking out information about the Criminal Justice department. “It’s a really cool college, I like it so far … I went and saw Kennesaw State University and The University of Georgia and those are really nice colleges too. These are my main three options.” He said a selling point for him to attend UNG would be because of the Criminal Justice department. “I have a lot of friends in the military, and everyone has been suggesting UNG because they are one of the top schools for the Corps and Criminal Justice.”

Ruthie Rider, senior at Georgia Connections Academy, said she attended Nighthawk preview because she wanted to see UNG for herself. “My sister and my brother-in-law both attended UNG, and UNG has always interested me. I am here to get to know more about the people, school and campus.” Rider says she is sold on attending UNG and is excited to learn more. “I am currently interested in the business program for Business Management,” said Rider. “I was surprised at the amount of tables that were here today, which makes me excited to have more options in case I change my mind.”