Atlanta Braves in a League of Their Own

Photo by Gavin Beck

The Atlanta Braves have been nothing short of amazing this season, and with only a week left, they have shown no signs of slowing down. It is hard to imagine any team standing in their way during the 2023 MLB playoffs.

The Braves solidified themselves as the most dominant team in the MLB after taking three out of four games in their recent series against the Los Angeles Dodgers. With the Dodgers being one of the Braves’ largest potential threats this postseason, a statement was made about how powerful this lineup truly is. The Braves sit at the No. 1 spot in the National League with a record of 100 – 56 and have clinched their sixth straight NL East division title.

After the Dodgers series, Braves pitcher, Charlie Morton, spoke on the importance of staying hot down the stretch, “good teams are going to go deep in the playoffs, but the hottest teams are going to go the furthest.”

Many factors have been contributing to this record-breaking team.

This season’s lineup is one of the most impressive anyone has ever witnessed. So far, the Braves have cranked out 299 home runs, leading the runner-up by more than 50. Not only have they blown out their competitors this season, but this number is also an Atlanta franchise record. The team also has the potential to break an MLB record by hitting the most home runs as a team in a single season at 307. With six games remaining, this record is not out of reach by any means.

The Braves also lead the National League in multiple other major offensive stats such as:

• Runs: 909
  • Hits: 1481
  • Total Bases: 2697
  • Batting Average: .274
  • Slugging: .501

While also being top 10 in doubles, triples, and stolen bases, this offense is one for the ages.

Leading the charge is the star-studded duo of Ronald Acuña Jr. and Matt Olson. Acuña is having a spectacular comeback year after suffering a torn ACL in 2021. On Aug. 31, he sent his 30th home run of the season into the stands, writing himself in the history books as the first player in MLB history to have 60 stolen bases and 30 home runs in a single season.

Matt Olson on the other hand is leading the league in home runs with 53, and RBIs with 133. Both players are currently top five in the NL MVP race. Between a fiery playmaker in Acuña and an offensive generator in Olson, the Braves have a solid foundation.

The powerful performance the Braves have displayed throughout the season has garnered the highest expectations from many fans. It is hard to believe a team of this caliber will not make a deep playoff run or even make a trip back to the World Series for the second time in three seasons.

“The Braves are definitely going to win the World Series this year. This is the most talented team the Braves have had in the past decade. Between the great pitching staff and hot bats, this team has no weakness.”- Andrew Robinson, UNG student and lifelong Braves fan

With the overwhelming support of fans and stats to back it up, Braves Country should feel comfortable heading into the postseason which will begin on Oct. 3.

View Comments (1)