Farewell to the Legendary Voice: Charles Martinet Retires from the Role of Super Mario

In late August, in an announcement that sent waves through the gaming community, Nintendo announced that Charles Martinet would be retiring from the role of Super Mario, but the adventure doesn’t end there. He’s been promoted to the esteemed position of “Mario Ambassador,” promising to continue sharing the joy of gaming and meeting fans around the globe.

Martinet’s journey as Mario began in 1990 when he audaciously won over the creators with an impromptu Mario voice audition. Since then, he’s not merely voiced the character; he’s lived it. Martinet has made it very clear that landing the role of Mario changed his life.

“I love the character so much; he’s so full of joy and optimism, and he faces challenges in life with a ‘Wahoo!'”

His enthusiastic “It’s-a me, Mario!” catchphrase and warm charisma made him a beloved figure, recognized even by those who had never played video games. Martinet’s commitment extended well beyond the recording booth. He’s frequently attended gaming conventions and events, taking time to connect with fans, autographing memorabilia, and answering questions with Mario’s infectious enthusiasm, cementing his status as a gaming icon around the world.

Though Martinet’s retirement from voicing Mario marks the end of an era, it marks the start of a fresh and exciting journey. Nintendo, in recognition of his immense contribution, has appointed Martinet as the “Mario Ambassador.” This role is a testament to the profound impact he’s had on the gaming community and the beloved character he’s portrayed for so long.

As the Mario Ambassador, Martinet will maintain a close relationship with Nintendo, collaborating on various projects to continue sharing the joy of gaming. While his role may have shifted, his commitment to Mario remains strong.

One of Martinet’s most endearing qualities has always been his genuine affection for his fans. In his new role, this won’t change. He’ll continue attending events, conventions, and fan gatherings, ensuring that gamers worldwide can still connect with the man who brought Mario to life. His iconic status makes him arguably one of the most recognizable video characters in the world, and Martinet’s impact on fans continues to flourish to this day.

Martinet’s performance inspired me to continue my passion for performing musical theatre. His naturally bubbly demeanor and positive attitude showed me how much fun someone could have while having such an important acting role.” – Long-time Nintendo fan, Ethan Goble

Whether you’ve been a fan for decades or are just starting your gaming journey, there’s no doubt that Martinet’s passion will continue to inspire and delight.

With Martinet’s retirement from the voice of Mario, the question inevitably arises: Who will be the next voice of this beloved character? Nintendo of America CEO Doug Bowser has commented stating that players will find out after completing the new upcoming Super Mario Bros. Wonder game.

“That’ll be within the credits, and people will learn who the new person is at that point in time, but we don’t plan to make any announcement in advance of that.” The world of gaming eagerly anticipates the new voice that will guide us on Mario’s adventures.

Nintendo followed up on their original tweet earlier this month with a video message from Mario creator, Shigeru Miyamoto and Charles Martinet, thanking fans around the world for the love and support that Martinet has received over the years. Though it may be bittersweet, it’s amazing to see how much one man has touched the hearts of countless generations.

As we bid a heartfelt farewell to Charles Martinet, we look ahead to the exciting future of Mario and gaming. With Martinet taking on the role of Mario Ambassador, we can rest assured that the spirit of Mario will endure, captivating and delighting gamers of all ages.