UNG is Celebrating Campus Safety Awareness Month with Safety Carnivals

Photo by Ashlee Engel.

It’s Safety Carnival time on Sept. 14, 2023, at the University of North Georgia Dahlonega Campus. The event will be at the Promenade from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event is tied to National Campus Safety Awareness Month.

There will be a mocktail station focused on alcohol safety, a photo op with a cop and (K-9) Rex. There will also be pizza, snow cones and popcorn.

Courtney Hause is UNG’s campus victims advocate with the Department of Public Safety and says this is one of the first events of this kind at the Dahlonega campus and features campus safety resources. It will include the Department of Public Safety, campus police, clergy office, Title IX office, dean of students office and student counseling.

September is National Campus Safety Awareness Month. It’s celebrated across the United States, said Brooke Smith, assistant director of compliance and clery compliance officer at UNG. “We started planning this larger event and we are excited to bring this to the campus community so that they can have a hands-on experience with these departments that they have not experienced with before,” says Smith.

This will be considered a Live Well UNG event, said Smith. Student counseling will be there to talk about the resources that they have available.

Hause says the event will be held on all five campuses on the following dates:

• Sept. 11: Oconee Campus Quad — 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
    • Sept. 12: Cumming Campus Patio — 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
    • Sept. 13: Gainesville Campus, Martha T. Nesbitt Patio — 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
    • Sept. 14: Dahlonega Campus Promenade — 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
    • Sept. 15: Blue Ridge Campus Patio — 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.