Encouraging Dual Enrollment

The University of North Georgia graduation cap and gown. Photograph by Lizzy Gordon

Dual enrollment offers high school students an opportunity to get ahead in their education while alongside college students. It has added a new element to universities and opened doors for those involved in the program.

Georgia reshaped dual enrollment education in 2016 and continues to get more funding for students like the ones here on the University of North Georgia campus. Over 70 high school students are earning college credit through UNG.

Dual enrolled students are better prepared for academic success in some cases. It can look great on future applications. There can be better-offered classes that go along with their goals and interests. The program also covers all tuition, required textbooks and mandatory fees.

Freshman courses are the main ones that are dual enrolled integrated. Having younger students enrolled in college classes allows them to get ahead in their education and future careers.

“It feels great about having dual enrollment students as my classmates. It makes me feel encouraged to get my work done because they are taking the initiative to do dual enrollment classes in high school” -Micah Pittman, University of North Georgia freshman

High school and college students agree that the most important thing is education. Students at the university encourage high school students to take the opportunity. With the same overall goal, both regular students and dual enrolled belong and are welcomed at UNG campuses.

Some dual enrollment students find being in class with older students intimidating at first, but at the end of the day, every student is there for the same reason.

“I feel that dual enrollment students aren’t a distraction to normal college students because they are both there for an education and it doesn’t matter when you revive an education, but it matters that you want to receive an education,” said Amy Benko, UNG dual enrolled student.

The program is a great way for high school students to gain college experience and knowledge. The college students have no problem sharing their campus with those there to learn.

“In the past years that dual enrolled students were in my classes, I never thought they affected the material we learned at all, just another classmate,” said Gracie Martin, senior at UNG.

The dual enrollment program has changed the way students learn and has given something new to strive for. Signing up for dual enrollment at UNG can be the first step in your college career.