Go For a Walk, It Could Save Your Life

A new study shows the consequence of no physical activity
Photo by Gavin Beck

Between maintaining grades, work, relationships and a suitable sleep schedule there is not much room for anything else in a college student’s life. This difficulty leads to the neglect of many important aspects when it comes to someone’s health.

Most full-time students put fitness on the back burner because it may not seem as important to them as what grade they get on their next exam. This is not only a major misconception but it could be a fatal one.

Photo by Gavin Beck

A recent study conducted by the British Journal of Sports Medicine found that meeting basic physical activity guidelines could reduce the risk of dying from influenza and pneumonia by 48%.

Considering that influenza is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States according to the CDC, this should be eye-opening data for many college students who have abandoned the idea of physical activity.

Incorporating a fitness routine into a busy college schedule is no simple task, but the University of North Georgia’s Gainesville campus works hard to support students who are trying to balance their physical health with many other responsibilities.

Photo by UNG

A large factor in building and keeping a routine is motivation.

Deondre Johnson, Coordinator of Fitness, Wellness and Health Promotion at UNG spoke on the importance of having a variety of recreational activities when it comes to staying motivated. Johnson explained that it was very important to do multiple things to stay active rather than doing one thing repeatedly and losing motivation because of it.

The campus has many facilities including a gymnasium, a weight room, an outdoor track and field and over 5 miles of nature trails.

“The Gainesville campus is amazing when it comes to variety. It is important for students to find what’s best for them…we do not want to just give students a resource, but give them the opportunity to find what resources work best for them.” – Deondre Johnson, UNG Coordinator of Fitness, Wellness and Health Promotion

UNG Campus Recreation and Wellness Department’s goal is to connect with students so that every student can know what they need to be successful when it comes to their health and well-being. UNG allows students to feel confident in any aspect of physical health no matter what their interests are.