Music Midtown 2023

Atlanta’s Ultimate Music Festival Experience
Niall+Horan+from+the+band%2C+One+Direction%2C+took+the+IHG+Stage+on+Saturday+
DeAnna Mayfield
Niall Horan from the band, One Direction, took the IHG Stage on Saturday

This past summer, Atlanta, Georgia, geared up to host one of its most anticipated annual events – Music Midtown 2023. This music festival, which has become an Atlanta tradition, promised to be bigger and better than ever before, and offered a sensational lineup, diverse musical genres and an unforgettable experience for attendees.

Music Midtown has a storied history dating back to its inception in 1994. Over the years, it has grown from a one-day event featuring a handful of bands to a multi-day extravaganza with a diverse range of musical acts. The festival was on hiatus for a few years but made a triumphant return in 2011, and since then, it has been a staple of Atlanta’s cultural calendar.

Savannah Pruitt (L) and Alanna Ellis (R) are drinking Liquid Death, the official water of Music Midtown 2023 (DeAnna Mayfield )

One of the main draws of Music Midtown is its stellar lineup, and 2023 was no exception. The festival featured a wide array of musical genres to cater to all tastes. From rock legends to hip-hop icons and indie sensations, there’s something for everyone. The headliners for 2023’s festival included renowned acts like PINK, The 1975, Yung Gravy, Guns N’ Roses and Billie Eilish. These headliners alone were enough to excite music lovers from all walks of life.

While the headliners were undoubtedly the stars of the show, Music Midtown is also known for showcasing emerging talent and local bands. The festival provides a platform for up-and-coming artists to gain exposure and connect with a larger audience. So, in addition to the big names, future festival-goers can discover hidden gems and future stars on the smaller stages throughout the event.

Crowd favorite, Billie Eilish wraps up her latest tour on the Venmo Stage Saturday night (DeAnna Mayfield )

“I love this festival because I can see my favorite artists, mine is Billie Eilish, and have a chance to hear newer artists that could become a new favorite. I really enjoyed watching The Midnight this year. The food is always great too.”

~Michelle Robinson, from Atlanta

Music Midtown isn’t just about the music; it’s about the experience. The festival takes place in the heart of Atlanta’s beautiful Piedmont Park, usually a lush green oasis in the middle of the city, which was soggy last year. This picturesque setting offers the perfect backdrop for a weekend of music and fun. Attendees can relax on the grass, enjoy a picnic or explore the park’s many walking trails between sets.

A little rain did not stop fans from enjoying the weekend as they hiked through the muddy park in their ponchos and rain boots. Brandon Pruitt, from Lawrenceville said he came prepared for anything the unpredictable Georgia weather would bring, “I have ponchos and extra socks. We walked here from our hotel in the pouring rain, but I think it will dry up soon.”

Alanna Ellis, a high school student, said she and her friends were there for Billie Eilish. “I have been waiting to see Billie for four years,” she said, “I would watch her in the pouring rain, I don’t care.” Eilish told fans while on stage that Music Midtown is her favorite festival to perform, and this show marked the end of her Happier Than Ever Tour.

Foodies also found plenty to savor at Music Midtown. A diverse selection of food vendors from all over Atlanta converged on the festival, offering a wide range of culinary delights.

Music Midtown is not only about music and entertainment; it’s also committed to making a positive impact on the community and the environment. Music Midtown has taken significant steps to reduce its environmental footprint, including recycling programs, waste reduction initiatives and encouraging the use of public transportation like MARTA to get to the festival. Last year’s festival provided hydration stations and served water in aluminum cans only in an effort to reduce the amount of plastic waste.

What sets Music Midtown apart from other music festivals is the undeniable Atlanta spirit. Atlanta boasts a unique blend of urban vibrancy and natural beauty, and Music Midtown embodies this spirit perfectly. It’s a celebration of the city’s diversity, creativity and passion for music.

Music Midtown 2023 promised an unforgettable experience for music lovers and festival-goers alike. With an exceptional lineup, a stunning location and a commitment to community and sustainability, this event encapsulated everything that makes Atlanta special. So, if you missed it last year, mark your calendars and don’t miss out on the celebration of music and the chance to immerse yourself in the magic of Music Midtown 2024 as it continues to define Atlanta’s cultural scene.