Hopping through the High Museum

Lizzy Gordon
Beatrix Potter artwork.

Beatrix Potter: Drawn to Nature is the latest interactive exhibition at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta and will be running now through Jan. 7.

Potter is responsible for bringing Peter Rabbit to life through her writing and illustrations. Potter was an artist as well as a scientist. Her knowledge of nature and animals through science is what made her work lifelike and personal. Potter’s popularity brought a crowd of a few hundred on opening day and is expected to be a success for the museum in the following months.

All the works in the exhibit are Potter’s from 1866-1943.

Some works from the Drawn to Nature exhibit. Photograph by Lizzy Gordon

The exhibit shows early sketches, finished works, mummified animals and photos from Potter’s life. Each of these additions to the exhibit shows how Potter got her inspiration for many of her stories.

“My favorite part is the photos. I could see where her childhood dog became her inspiration in her art,” attendee Nic Elliott said.

The exhibit is in four stages and takes about 40 minutes to walk through. The Drawn to Nature exhibition is kid-friendly and offers activities for children, which include story time, drawing and a reading corner.

Story time for the children. Photograph by Lizzy Gordon

“I loved Peter Rabbit as a child. This exhibit let me appreciate the books now as an adult. You can see the stories come to life here.” – Christine McCormick, Member of the High Museum 

Opening day offered sweet treats and sandwiches to guests. There is also a great deal of merchandise for the exhibit, allowing everyone the opportunity to take part in Potter Lifework at home.

“This exhibit was wonderful for me and my kids. I have read these stories to them just like my mom did for me. The mummified bats and mice were the only thing I could’ve done without,” said Angel Holochak, art fan.

Others found the display of critters and insects to be interesting. The museum even offered magnifying glasses for viewers to get a closer look.

A day at the Drawn to Nature exhibit is a day well spent. The museum gives Potter recognition for her work in science and shows us a newer way to appreciate Peter Rabbit. The interactive exhibit keeps kids entertained while parents can admire the works of Potter. Seeing the way Potter was influenced by nature is inspiring. Her appreciation for life and mother nature is evident in her work. Plan your trip to the exhibit at the High Museum of Art.