Five Nights at the Movies

Cult Favorite Horror Game Hits the Big Screen
Jack Thurmond
Two posters advertise the FNAF movie outside the AMC in Cumming GA. The posters feature two of the movies main characters Foxy the Pirate Fox and the bear, the myth, the legend, Freddy Fazbear.

It is an eerily quiet night as a late-night security guard watches over the Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza restaurant. The job is simple. Sit in a small office, watch the security cameras and fend off a group of four possessed animatronics who want to make him one of them all until the clock strikes 6 a.m.  

Described is the plot of the cult favorite survival-horror game, “Five Nights at Freddy’s” (FNAF). The game, starring Freddy Fazbear, his three friends Bonnie the Bunny, Chica the Chicken, Foxy the Pirate Fox and other various characters and animatronics, has grown into a modern classic since its release in 2014.  

The title has spawned 12 additional games, over 30 books and novels and on Oct. 27, its first movie.  

The film was announced to the public back in 2015 one year after the release of the first game. However due to delays in 2017, 2018 and 2021, filming didn’t start until early 2023.   

Nonetheless, the series has had time to establish itself further over the years and is finishing production with vast and robust lore to bolster it.  

Also a product of the extra time, players have long anticipated the big-screen adaptation of their three favorite cybernetic puppets. The movie expects to reel in $40 million on its opening night, giving it the second-best start of the year behind “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” and its $92.8M opening.  

Several fans, such as Jaylin Guzenski, were not sold initially. At first, she was concerned about the feature being a giant cash grab like other recent films.  

Others like Hans Lehmann have been waiting for the big-screen rendition since its announcement. He remembers being excited at first but then fading from the hype during the eight-year hiatus, only to regain anticipation after it finally got put into production.  

“Now I’m excited to see if the movie holds true to my memories of what the original “FNAF” was like.” – Hans Lehmann

Regardless, enthusiasts are intrigued to observe how Blumhouse Productions handles bringing one of gaming’s greatest recent phenomena to the screening room.    

Since production started in February, fans have speculated what they might see in the film and have their hopes on what easter eggs might show up.  

Daniel Moreira, who has speculated over “FNAF” lore with friends since its launch, wishes to see its infamous spring lock failure scene.  

Nick Plunkett, a fan since middle school, will be looking for easter eggs involving the YouTube channel “The Game Theorists.”   

“Some of my best memories are watching the lore videos that “The Game Theorists” make.” – Nick Plunkett

The YouTube channel is one of multiple internet powerhouses that helped put the franchise on the map as the household name it is today.   

No matter what is in store for viewers, theaters should expect them to show up in great numbers.  

Fans like Guzenski have decided to plan ahead of time. She plans to pre-order opening night tickets for her and her sister.  

Plunkett plans to watch the movie with friends on its opening day, but not in a crowded theater. His idea is to take advantage of the film’s same-day release on the Peacock streaming service.  

Regardless of how they plan on viewing the feature, it is safe to assume “FNAF” fans will be chomping at the bit to watch their favorite animatronics take over the pictures.  

Time will tell whether the film will be a massive trick or the treat that fans have longed for. Until then, theaters advise that moviegoers get their tickets early and have as much responsible fun as possible.