Early Voting is Open in Georgia: What You Need To Know

Local elections are coming up, and political science professor Jaimie Kelly says they’re just as important to participate in as the presidential elections or mid-terms. Early voting for these elections across Georgia opened last week and will continue until Nov. 3.

In local elections, county citizens have the opportunity to vote for people who can change the communities that they live in and impact day-to-day life. Voting will take place for mayors, city council members and education board members in some counties across Georgia. 

Kelly says, “It is the local officials who shape the curriculum of our children, who deal with the infrastructure and roads that we drive daily, and that fund the libraries, fire stations, parks and other municipal services that we all depend upon.” 

“Voting in local elections is extremely important for our livelihoods,” Kelly says. 

Students can make sure they’re registered to vote here. If you’re not registered to vote, visit this website to register now. 

Georgia guarantees at least three weeks of early in-person voting beginning on the fourth Monday prior to an election up until the Friday immediately prior to Election Day. Early voting typically takes place Monday through Friday and the second and third Saturdays prior to election day. 

For early voting, you do not have to vote at an assigned polling location. You can vote at any early voting location within your county. Find early voting locations in each county by visiting the Secretary of State’s website. Available locations can also be found on the My Voter Page.

Here are some key dates for 2023 local elections in Georgia:

Oct. 16: Advanced voting begins for the November general election

Oct. 27: Last day to request an absentee ballot for the November municipal general election

Nov. 7: Election Day

Nov. 13: Last day for a voter to submit an absentee ballot cure affidavit and any supplemental information to verify a provisional ballot 

Nov. 27: Deadline to submit an absentee ballot application for the December municipal/special election runoff

Dec. 5: Election Day (special election runoff)